Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Donal Lafferty <do...@citrix.com> on 2013/05/30 03:17:37 UTC

Hyper-V plugin - IP Dependencies

WRT to which IP dependencies on the Agent side are build-time and which are deploy time:

AFAIK, packages with a licence explicitly mentioned below are build time dependencies.  E.g. code under MICROSOFT ASP.NET MODEL VIEW CONTROLLER 4  EULA, MIT License, and Apache License, Version 2.0.  These files could be distributed or if need be downloaded form NuGet.

In addition, the agent builds against the .NET Framework 4.5.  The agent would not distribute .NET Framework 4.5, as these binaries would be installed before deploying the agent.

Finally, the WMI subsystem and the Hyper-V 2012 hypervisor are deploy time dependencies.

DL

Re: Hyper-V plugin - IP Dependencies

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 5:18 PM, Donal Lafferty
<do...@citrix.com> wrote:
> Could I get some more clarity on how to deal with Microsoft dependencies?
>
> ".NET Framwork V4.5" is straightforward.  It's like a JDK and a JRE, because after installation you can build and run against it.  It comes with a separate install, so ".NET Framework v4.5" is easy to install independently, and it would show up in a list of steps for setting up a build environment or deploying the Hyper-V agent.

This doesn't worry me at all. It's a system dependency.

> However, I'm confused about how to treat "ASP.NET MVC4".  It meets build / platform criteria.  I've sub classed some of its types, and merely constructed others.  Unlike the .NET Framework v4.5, it is not designed to be installed independently of the application that uses it.  If we distributed source, builders would be expected to download the binaries involved.  If I was writing an installer, I'd include the binaries in my install.
>
> The license is here:  MICROSOFT ASP.NET MODEL VIEW CONTROLLER 4  EULA at
> http://www.microsoft.com/web/webpi/eula/mvc_4_eula_enu.htm  Will there be any problem with distributing code that builds
> against it?

This I have some concerns about; and think it's worth asking on
legal-discuss about

> Also, I've added a dependency.  For compression and decompression of bz2, I'm using http://dotnetzip.codeplex.com/license.  The binary is used in a similar fashion to the "ASP.NET MVC4 binaries.  Will there be any problem with distributing code that builds against it?

I don't see anything inherently wrong with it - MSPL is a category B
license. So no.

> Finally, what does "CI" in " an appropriate CI environment running for this code" mean?

Continuous integration - think Jenkins or something similar (but
really, for us, Jenkins)

RE: Hyper-V plugin - IP Dependencies

Posted by Donal Lafferty <do...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.