Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Colin Williams <co...@gmail.com> on 2018/07/31 00:39:05 UTC

iterating on table columns using show columns or similar

Hello,

I'd like to write some HQL to iterate on the columns of a table. When
I show columns in <tablename> the result shows rows returned and what
looks like a column called field. Then it seems like I should be able
to use a subquery to write a select statment for each of these result
rows but I just haven't been able to make it work. Then how can I
achieve this?

An example of how I would use this would be to get Nulls for each
column returned from the show tables command.