Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by Daniel Yacob Mekonnen <ya...@rcn.com> on 2001/01/11 16:48:02 UTC

Using SOAP as an ORB?

Greetings,

The bulk of my experience with SOAP has been to build an interface to a
popular ORB.  I've begun to entertain the idea more and more with replacing
the ORB altogether with Apache, mod_perl and SOAP-Lite.

The main thing we would seem to loose in using SOAP as it is would be the
utility of having anonymous clients registering the requests they want to
receive with the ORB.  But couldn't a SOAP::ORB module be built here to
relay messages with remote adapters (using remote SOAP servers probably)
that have registered their URIs?

This might be 10 times slower, but the cost savings in license fees and
hardware would make up for it.

A SOAP::ORB module in Perl doesn't seem to be *that* big of an under taking
(I'm neither a SOAP nor ORB expert so I'm probably overlooking oodles).
Before I go bounding down the road to possible insanity, I'd like to hear
if anyone has already given this a try or can think of reasons why this
couldn't/shouldn't be done.

thank you,

/Daniel