Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by "M. Fioretti" <mf...@nexaima.net> on 2012/10/18 15:45:41 UTC

Re: [ot] about getting rid of PDF, was: aoo for android

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 21:59:05 PM +1100, Martin Groenescheij wrote:

> >Full story:
> >
> >http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2012/oct/17/open-government-data-pdfs
> And the article said:
> Only the Department for International Development routinely
> publishes the data in its annual report as an _*excel*_ download.
> Since when is MS-Office *open*?

Martin,

of course, you are right. This said, the goal of this thread was
specifically to show a real case in which PDF (not PDS, of course,
sorry for the typo in the subject) is much, much closer even of
formats like .doc, .xls etc, that do preserve internal information in
a way that is easy to process (semi) automatically.

Marco
http://mfioretti.com

Re: [ot] about getting rid of PDF, was: aoo for android

Posted by Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net>.
Well, there is a difference between releasing data for just reading (either on screen or on paper) and providing access to data for post-processing.
Of course PDF is not good for data handling. But for most of the documents that should be read-only, it's still the best bet.
How many people would bother have access to all these information provided by the govt? I don't say it's not useful, it is for transparency. But very few people need that.

Hagar