Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2012/03/19 13:41:25 UTC

After AOO 3.4, attracting new contributors

There have been some side discussions on this topic.  I'd like to
collect these ideas into one thread.

My observations:

1) The OpenOffice code base has a reputation of being complex, hard to
understand, even "haunted".  It is difficult for new developers to get
involved with it.

2) We get regular offers of help from new volunteers for other project
functions, such documentation, QA, website,etc., but we are not doing
a great job getting them to be successful contributors in the project.

3) Nothing is free.  Making the code easier to understand, or
mentoring new contributors to the project, these things time and
effort.

So there is a natural trade-off between short term progress on
features and long term growing of the contributor base.  With AOO 3.4
we have biases the effort toward forward progress on the release. Post
AOO 3.4 we might want to adjust to a more balanced approach.

Any ideas and the best ways how we can improve in this area after AOO
3.4 releases?

-Rob

Re: After AOO 3.4, attracting new contributors

Posted by Kevin Grignon <ke...@gmail.com>.
Rob,

I agree, making this project open and accessible for all who want to
contribute is an important consideration.

With regards to the short term priorities and delivering AOO 3.4 to
maintain traction, I completely agree.

With regards to a post AOO 3.4 approach, I would advocate a balanced
approach that seeks a harmonious blend between the product direction and
sustainability, technical feasibility and end user desirability. I feel the
best way to realize such balance in the final product, is to mirror a
similar balance in our approach and process.

Perhaps we could seek to organize in specific sub-communities that seek to
not only complete tasks, but communities, where the our volunteers learn
about a discipline (product management, user experience design,
development, testing, documentation, etc.) learn how to manage the effort,
learn how integrate their contribution, learn how to drive change and have
an impact.

As I am new to this effort, my initial thoughts may be obvious to the more
seasoned contributor. For my part, I can say that I am very interested in
contributing to our user experience and product design approach. I will
observe my new UX contributor experience and capture any thoughts that
might help contribute to attracting and retaining other design-oriented
volunteers moving forward.

I'm looking forward to continuing this conversation.

Best regards,
Kevin

Posted by Simon Brouwer <si...@brousant.nl>.
Hi Regina,

Thanks for these excellent insights.

Best regards
Simon

(...)

--
Vriendelijke groet, Best regards,

Simon Brouwer

Re: After AOO 3.4, attracting new contributors

Posted by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>.
Hi Rob,

I do not code in my daily job, but do it only as hobby. My personal
observations might be true for other volunteer coders too.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 9:38 PM, Kevin Grignon <ke...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Many great thoughts here.
>
> In addition to supporting the open source movement, perhaps we could
> market participation as a way to learn and develop skills.
>
> As a newbie, it appears that much our message is around what we need -
> which is essential to understand, however we may want to focus on why
> someone may want to join and help them realize their goals.
>
> For example, if someone is looking to demonstrate their skills and develop
> portfolio work products, then AOO offers a sandbox of opportunity.

That is certainly one possible motivation.  Someone at the start of their
career, or considering a new career, starts with less in their resume.  So
open source participation can be almost like an unpaid internship -- gain
some experience, skills, references, etc.

There was a study a few years ago that looked at open source participation,
specifically looking at Apache projects.  The authors found:

"First, we find that developers’ motivations are not independent but rather
are related in complex ways. Being paid to contribute to Apache projects is
positively related to developers’ status motivations but negatively related
to their use-value motivations. Perhaps surprisingly, we find no evidence
of diminished intrinsic motivation in the presence of extrinsic
motivations; rather, status motivations enhance intrinsic motivations.
Second, we find that different motivations have an impact on participation
in different ways. Developers’ paid participation and status motivations
lead to above-average contribution levels, but use-value motivations lead
to below-average contribution levels, and intrinsic motivations do not
significantly impact average contribution levels. Third, we find that
developers’ contribution levels positively impact their performance
rankings. Finally, our results suggest that past-performance rankings
enhance developers’ subsequent status motivations."

http://mansci.journal.informs.org/content/52/7/984.abstract

(And no, I have zero idea what that means.  But it sure sounds impressive.)

In any case, new volunteers have various motivations, and so do more
experienced members who volunteer to mentor new participants.  So all sorts
of combinations are interests are possible.  But I suspect the same two
questions occur over and over again:

1) What are some things I can work on now that match my skill level and
time commitment?

2) I want to do X,  How do I get started, technically or procedurally?

In other words, we have volunteers looking for an area to help with, and we
have others who want to accomplish something specific, but need help
figuring out how to do it.

-Rob

Some thoughts.

Posted by Hennie Potgieter <pb...@gmail.com>.
Please cancel all emails to me.
Tkanks

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 12:23 AM, Kevin Grignon <ke...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Drew and Rob,
>
> I'll defer to your experience with the OO recruiting. Your comments make
> sense.
>
> The key point I wanted to make was that I feel that diversity is a good
> thing, and that product design need not solely the domain of technical
> people. Yes, the offering is software and that requires significant
> implementation effort, however, other disciplines can contribute
> to requirements research, validation and feature design and product
> evaluation.
>
> Perhaps we could look at the effort as opensource product design, as much
> as opensource development.
>
> Just a thought.
>
> For my part, I'm interested in re-establishing our user experience design
> capabilities and in time, I hope we can roll out a strategy to recruit more
> product design-oriented contributors (user researchers, interaction
> designers, visual designers and usabilty evaluators.)

Hi Kevin,

These are all great points.

One idea.   The following page is our primary "get involved" page for the
project.  It is linked to prominently from the www.openoffice.org homepage
and gets many, many hits:

http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/get-involved.html

That page then links to this "help wanted" page on the wiki, with more
details:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Help+Wanted

If you have any suggestions on how these pages could be updated, I can help
you get the changes applied.  Actually, for the wiki page, you can just
sign up for an account.

Also, after 3.4 releases we could have a blog post about user experience
and the desire to establish a nucleus of expertise here at the project.
That could help attract interest.

-Rob

Regards,

Posted by Kevin Grignon <ke...@gmail.com>.
Drew and Rob,

Posted by drew jensen <dr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by drew jensen <dr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kevin Grignon <ke...@gmail.com>.
Rob,

> [...]

>> --- Mer 28/3/12, qa@imsoftwaresystems.com ha scritto:
>>
>>> Hi Rob,
>>>
>>> Well, the large talent pool is available here in India with
>>> millions of
>>> students graduating in Engineering,MCA(Master of computer
>>> applications).
>>> They all look for a project for their final semester. We can
>>> somehow try to
>>> attract them but they also try to see what  is the
>>> benefit for them. Most
>>> of these guys they learn C/Java as part of their
>>> syllabus.But we need to
>>> retrain them as they generally  just try to pass and
>>> not to be master of
>>> it.
>>> So we need to train them and make them useful.
>>>
>>> I have not seen the code base yet but based on the search
>>> results what i
>>> have understood is that it is implemented in

>>> OOBasic,
>>> Cpp,
>>> Python,
>>> XSL,

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ian Lynch <ia...@gmail.com>.
On 29 March 2012 05:51, Kevin Grignon <ke...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Given the risk in a formal certification program,

Why would there be risk - well any more risk than doing anything else?

Not for profit is easy. Do it through ASDAN, (for example) a registered
charity in the UK and regulated by the national government.

we could look to support contributors intrinsic motivation by reducing
> barriers to entry and supporting a positive on-boarding experience.

Sure, use eg http://www.codecademy.com/<http://www.codecademy.com/#!/exercises/0>

for the content and course support and then get ASDAN to certify skills
from complete beginner level through to professional. There are some
constraints in terms of independent verification that the work is that of
the person claiming the certificate but all of this is just normal business
for a professional Awarding Organisation.

--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940

Wales.

Re: After AOO 3.4, attracting new contributors

Posted by Kevin Grignon <ke...@gmail.com>.
Given the risk in a formal certification program, we could look to support contributors intrinsic motivation by reducing barriers to entry and supporting a positive on-boarding experience.

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.
Hi Ram;

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.
On Thu, 2012-03-29 at 12:54 +0800, Kevin Grignon wrote:
> Great points in this thread
>
> Question: Does OO community have a history if working with academic or professional groups to recruit volunteers? Developers, designers and beyond.

Hola Kevin,

hmm - perhaps review the information at:

It only covers a subset of your question, but an important one for this
discussion IMO.

//drew

Posted by Kevin Grignon <ke...@gmail.com>.
Great points in this thread

Posted by qa...@imsoftwaresystems.com.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ian Lynch <ia...@gmail.com>.
On 28 March 2012 02:38, Kevin Grignon <ke...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Many great thoughts here.
>
> In addition to supporting the open source movement, perhaps we could
> market participation as a way to learn and develop skills.

Maybe a certificate for AOO development professional? Work out the key
skills needed to contribute to development and write a set of indicative
assessment criteria. Get a mentor to verify the candidate's evidence that
they can meet the criteria. If there was interest in it we have the
 facilities to support it including secure on-line testing facilities and a

Posted by Kevin Grignon <ke...@gmail.com>.
Many great thoughts here.

Posted by Kevin Grignon <ke...@gmail.com>.
Another thought.

Perhaps we could expand the message to reference open source product design and development, rather than focus solely on technical tasks.

This could help us attract a wider range of takented contributors.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

>>> E.g. http://s.apache.org/EdO shows all the ideas with more than five
>>> votes. The potential to use the same tool for tracking bugs,
>>> enhancement and feature ideas indicates the the name Bugzilla is too
>>> narrow and thus the old project to be called Issuezilla.
>>>
>>> Herbert
>>
>> Hmm...
>>
>> Jim is an expert in serf, I suppose ;), so the webdav issues in
>> Bugzilla would be indeed be a good starting point for him ;-).
>>
> excellent, that would be a perfect start to review the new UCP code and provide
> feedback or better improvements.
>
> This would be a good opportunity to understand the concept behind our Universal
> Content Broker (UCB) and the Universal Content Providers (UCP). The WebDAV UCP
> (including http) which is based on serf now and can be used as a start to create
> a new CMIS UCP.
>
> I volunteer to support Jim where I can and I am sure Oliver and Andre will do it
> as well.
>
> Having a native CMIS implementation would be better than one based on Chemistry.
> But that is a detail only. The are enough things to cover starting to define a
> usable Url schema (e.g.
> cmis://<servername>/<whatever-entry>/<directory>/<documentname>[?<param>=<value>...]

> The advantage of a CMIS UCP is obvious and it would allow us the interaction
> with many other software systems supporting this standard.

Cool, an expert in serf.

Yes please, have a review of our serf integration in /main/ucb/source/ucp/webdav/

All comments/remarks/patches/critics/... are welcome.

Best regards, Oliver.

Re: After AOO 3.4, attracting new contributors

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.

>> Additionally to what Pedro said I'd like to point to our Bugzilla at
>> https://issues.apache.org/ooo/ which is a fountain of inspiration.
>> E.g. http://s.apache.org/EdO shows all the ideas with more than five
>> votes. The potential to use the same tool for tracking bugs,
>> enhancement and feature ideas indicates the the name Bugzilla is too
>> narrow and thus the old project to be called Issuezilla.
>>
>> Herbert
>
> Hmm...
>
> Jim is an expert in serf, I suppose ;), so the webdav issues in
> Bugzilla would be indeed be a good starting point for him ;-).

excellent, that would be a perfect start to review the new UCP code and
provide feedback or better improvements.

This would be a good opportunity to understand the concept behind our
Universal Content Broker (UCB) and the Universal Content Providers
(UCP). The WebDAV UCP (including http) which is based on serf now and
can be used as a start to create a new CMIS UCP.

I volunteer to support Jim where I can and I am sure Oliver and Andre
will do it as well.

Having a native CMIS implementation would be better than one based on
Chemistry. But that is a detail only. The are enough things to cover
starting to define a usable Url schema (e.g.
cmis://<servername>/<whatever-entry>/<directory>/<documentname>[?<param>=<value>...]

The advantage of a CMIS UCP is obvious and it would allow us the
interaction with many other software systems supporting this standard.

Feel free to contact me

Juergen

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.

Posted by Herbert Duerr <hd...@apache.org>.
On 03/22/2012 08:06 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:
> I'm not sure if Jim meant this or not, but being started doesn't mean
> finding things to do. The first stage is figuring out how to set up a dev
> environment. Could this be sensibly added to (our linked from) the get
> involved page?

Ah, sorry for the misunderstanding.
Developers new to the project should be pointed at
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ooo/trunk/main/README
or something similar.

Herbert

Re: After AOO 3.4, attracting new contributors

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

Posted by Herbert Duerr <hd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.
Hi Jim;

On 03/22/12 10:03, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> As a quick note, I'd *love* to dive in and start doing some
> coding on AOOo; it's just that I've no idea where in the
> heck to start... :)
It depends on your particular interests. The codebase is
rather big and there's a lot to do.

There are big tasks that have been around for a while,
like replacing some Category-B software with better
alternatives, and there are new features being planned.

I am also sure that running Simian:
http://www.harukizaemon.com/simian/index.html

would suggest some easy hacks for starters.

We just have to put all the ideas together in a
single Wiki page.

Pedro.

Re: After AOO 3.4, attracting new contributors

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Armin Le Grand <Ar...@me.com>.
On 20.03.2012 11:09, Armin Le Grand wrote:
> Hi Rob,

[..]

Extendign after Reginas eMail:

- refactoring
- featues
- bugfixing
- tutoring

> The tradeoffs are hard, but splitting time in
> - refactoring
> - featues
> - bugfixing
> is the key, the ratio is hard to determine, maybe everyone has to find a
> balance for himself.

[..]

Sincerely,
	Armin
--
ALG

Re: After AOO 3.4, attracting new contributors

Posted by Armin Le Grand <Ar...@me.com>.
	Hi Rob,

On 19.03.2012 13:41, Rob Weir wrote:
> There have been some side discussions on this topic.  I'd like to
> collect these ideas into one thread.
>
> My observations:
>
> 1) The OpenOffice code base has a reputation of being complex, hard to
> understand, even "haunted".  It is difficult for new developers to get
> involved with it.

Unfortunately true to a degree: There are new code parts which are
attractive, most stuff based on UNO API and others, but there is also
the old core code and application code. The UNO API was the start to
modularize the office, and newer stuff often uses it. The quotient
between this two classes of code is hard to guess, I personally think
old code is still more. Most of the old code is in active use and not
simply to be replaced, just think about more than a decade of fixes and
extensions made there by developers also not knowing all of it (which is
simply not possible) and thus leading to more and more entropy even with
some good designed old interfaces.

> 2) We get regular offers of help from new volunteers for other project
> functions, such documentation, QA, website,etc., but we are not doing
> a great job getting them to be successful contributors in the project.

Right, hurdles when talking about code are (unfortunately) high,
lowering them would be the prerequisite to attract more and to get to a
point where the project scales to more developers and doing changes in a
single area will not risk the whole office functionality.

> 3) Nothing is free.  Making the code easier to understand, or
> mentoring new contributors to the project, these things time and
> effort.

Correct, code refactoring would be necessary in many old code areas. It
is doable and necessary, I'm doing it for DrawingLayer for six jears now
and still a long way to go. It's like a gordian knot and even to find
places to cut parts out for replacement without shredding the whole
office is not easy. But doing so is possible and leads to better and new
functionality (see AntiAliasing, better precision, speed, etc...). It
needs to be done in far more areas than DrawingLayer, though. And it
unfortunately needs a huge amount of knowledge of the code.

> So there is a natural trade-off between short term progress on
> features and long term growing of the contributor base.  With AOO 3.4
> we have biases the effort toward forward progress on the release. Post
> AOO 3.4 we might want to adjust to a more balanced approach.
>
> Any ideas and the best ways how we can improve in this area after AOO
> 3.4 releases?

The tradeoffs are hard, but splitting time in
- refactoring
- featues
- bugfixing
is the key, the ratio is hard to determine, maybe everyone has to find a
balance for himself.

Others have detected that problem, and by also not having an endless
resource count and not too many people with the needed deep knowledge of
that old code the decision was to at least lower the entry hurdles by
doing the doable: translating comments and removing unused code. Both
not leading to direct benefits for the user, but targeted on attracting
developers.

I personally would not put work in translating comments, but I do put a
lot of work in dead code identification and removal. We need to go
beyond that by refactoring, that is the key for slowly moving the big
old codebase to deeper water, and I'll continue to do so for
DrawingLayer. I hope to get back to aw080 (already available as branch
under /branches/alg/aw080) where many deep changes to the DrawingLayer
cores are already started, but not yet finished.

> -Rob

Sincerely,
	Armin
--