Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Whit Blauvelt <wh...@transpect.com> on 1998/07/15 23:45:32 UTC

Re[2]: config/2632: access.conf "allow from" erratic in domain name reverse lookups

 > Synopsis: access.conf "allow from" erratic in domain name reverse
 lookups

 > State-Changed-From-To: open-feedback
 > State-Changed-By: marc
 > State-Changed-When: Wed Jul 15 11:42:02 PDT 1998
 > State-Changed-Why:
 > This is probably due to some DNS problem somewhere.  What is
 > the real IP and hostname of the machine being denied?

 The real IP is the one being given, and the real hostname is the one being
 sometimes (but not usually) successfully looked up by Apache.

 > Is
 > it only happening for one machine, or for multiple ones?

 At this point, I can only confirm that it's happenning for the one, which
 is part of the proxy server setup for an internal network, while the
 Apache server is sitting on the outside.

 > Is the machine running its own named locally, or is it
 > using a remote system?  What is the contents of /etc/resolv.conf?

 Actually, to make things more fun, named is running on the remote machine
 in question.

 resolved.conf contains just:
 search localdomain.com
 nameserver [IP of the machine]

 Again, there's no problem at all testing this setup with nslookup from the
 Apache machine - works every time, and crisply. Does Apache have some
 _very-short_ timeout interval when it asks for the reverse dns lookup? If
 so, where is this set?

 \/\/ I-I I T
 Blauvelt
 whit@transpect.com