Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Davor Bonaci <da...@google.com.INVALID> on 2016/04/13 03:23:43 UTC

Massive package renaming coming

We are preparing to do a massive, project-wide package rename from
"com.google.cloud.dataflow" to "org.apache.beam". At the earliest, this
could occur sometime tomorrow afternoon (Pacific time).

Unfortunately, there's no way to do this without affecting ongoing work.
We'll try to do it as quickly as possible to minimize such impact.

We'll ensure that existing automated testing passes before merging the
change, with the exception of integration coverage with the Google Cloud
Dataflow service. We expect that the code in Beam's master will not work
against Cloud Dataflow for a little bit -- we'll accept this breakage on a
one-time basis, and try to recover it as soon as possible thereafter.

If anybody sees any issues with this plan, I'd love to hear it.

This is one of those mandatory things we've been delaying for a while now.
Of course, there are more such things to come, but hopefully none that are
this wide.

Thanks!

Re: Massive package renaming coming

Posted by Davor Bonaci <da...@google.com.INVALID>.
The Google Cloud Dataflow runner has now been recovered. Special thanks
goes to Luke Cwik for working through several issues to get us here.

Jenkins project "beam_PostCommit_RunnableOnService_GoogleCloudDataflow" now
verifies this integration. It runs a test pass for every code push to the
repository, with failure emails being sent to the commits@ mailing list.
>From this point onward, let's make sure we address any breakage to this
test as soon as possible.

( Hopefully, we'll get this running in a pre-commit way too. That is,
unfortunately, blocked on INFRA-11610 [2]. )

[1]
https://builds.apache.org/view/Beam/job/beam_PostCommit_RunnableOnService_GoogleCloudDataflow/

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Great work guys !