Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com> on 2016/06/05 14:36:10 UTC

My experience with refactoring the framework

Hello Folks,

Over the past couple of months I was working heavily on refactoring the
start component of the framework and we changed almost every single line of
code in it.

I learned a lot and I would like to share some of the experiences and
findings:

The good
--------------
- OFBiz works, the code executes and runs.
- There is an insane amount of functionality.
- Lots of great ideas and initiatives.
- People love and care for OFBiz.

The Bad
------------
- The code _barely_ works (very brittle), break one thing and the whole
thing goes down.
- Dependency nightmares and spaghetti code.
- Remember that spaghetti code? They poured cement on it and built even
more spaghetti code!
- Many abandoned and half-cooked ideas in the code base.

Some conclusions
---------------------------
- Without a shred of doubt, I believe OFBiz needs code cleaning more than
anything else.
- We should probably not add more features or functionality. For at least a
year we should just clean and clean and clean and clean and clean and clean
and clean.
- If refactoring is done right, OFBiz can be much faster, much smaller, and
much much more robust.
- We need help from people; we can within a year's time create something
amazing if people pitch in.

ideas for refactoring
----------------------------
- The base component needs to be completely refactored with fundamental
design changes.
- The system containers require heavy, heavy refactoring.
- Replace manual multi-threading with the executors framework from
java.util.concurrent
- Many libraries are sitting there and unused. We need to delete those.
- OSGi can transform OFBiz into a different beast, with many of the
"component" problems resolved
- Many functionalities are much better implemented with 3rd party libraries
that did not exist back in 2001
- libraries should not ship with OFBiz, but downloaded through the build
script (which only declares dependencies). This would make the size of
OFBiz MUCH smaller
- ANT, Maven and Ivy need to go away, and replaced with Gradle and the
plethora of build scripts all replaced with just one.
- if we implement gradle, probably the /tools folder would go away as well.
- SVN should probably be replaced with Git. Git was the tool that I used to
do the refactoring and I cannot imagine doing the refactoring exercise
without it.

Sorry for the long post, but I needed to get this out of my head, and maybe
help trigger thoughts for other people.

Cheers!

Taher Alkhateeb

Re: My experience with refactoring the framework

Posted by Divesh Dutta <di...@hotwaxsystems.com>.
Thanks Taher for sharing your experience and thoughts. I am up for the help
where ever possible.

Regards
--
Divesh Dutta.

On Sun, Jun 5, 2016 at 8:06 PM, Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
> that did not exist back in 2001
> - libraries should not ship with OFBiz, but downloaded through the build
> script (which only declares dependencies). This would make the size of
> OFBiz MUCH smaller
> - ANT, Maven and Ivy need to go away, and replaced with Gradle and the
> plethora of build scripts all replaced with just one.
> - if we implement gradle, probably the /tools folder would go away as well.
> - SVN should probably be replaced with Git. Git was the tool that I used to
> do the refactoring and I cannot imagine doing the refactoring exercise
> without it.
>
> Sorry for the long post, but I needed to get this out of my head, and maybe
> help trigger thoughts for other people.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Taher Alkhateeb

Re: My experience with refactoring the framework

Posted by sh...@intelliant.net.
Thanks Taher. Insightful indeed.

-
Shrenik

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
In an open source project, there is a lot of responsibility placed on
the people doing the commits.

They have to ensure that code that they accept is high quality and not
commit code contributions that do not meet quality standards.

- Code must follow generally accepted practices and design patterns as
well as the project's conventions.
- Test coverage must be adequate and updated to reflect the changes made.
- Code must be documented adequately - JavaDocs should pass validation
tests at a minimum and the description accurate even if it is short.

Taher's comments may reflect past coding practices but if crappy code is
updated without being fixed so it is no longer deficient, it is just a
waste of time.
The major quality problems may not be the result of the current update
but it should be fixed before being resubmitted unless the fix is very
small and an important bug fix.

Enhancements should not be committed in code that is not cleaned up.

In a proprietary project, the QA process will be enforced as an
important part of the development effort.
An open source project has to find a way to do this as well if it is
going to produce a high quality product that works and is easy to maintain.

Ron

Ron Wheeler
President
Artifact Software Inc
email: rwheeler@artifact-software.com
skype: ronaldmwheeler
phone: 866-970-2435, ext 102

Re: My experience with refactoring the framework

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Divesh,

Fantastic! Thank you very much for joining. Feel free to contact me
directly if you need anything.

Cheers,

Taher Alkhateeb

On Tue, Jun 7, 2016 at 3:14 PM, Divesh Dutta <divesh.dutta@hotwaxsystems.com