Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Alexander Klimetschek <ak...@adobe.com> on 2015/03/25 02:49:09 UTC

resource.adaptTo(Reader.class)

Hi,

when reading text files (nt:files) via the resource API, it would be useful to be able to adapt to a Reader, that is set up with the right charset. Instead of having to resource.adaptTo(InputStream.class) and manually figuring out the charset.

The charset would be either jcr:encoding on the jcr:content [1], or default to the common utf-8 by default.

wdyt?

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/jackrabbit/nt%3Aresource

Cheers,
Alex

Re: resource.adaptTo(Reader.class)

Posted by Alexander Klimetschek <ak...@adobe.com>.
On 25.03.2015, at 01:26, Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> wrote:
> Sounds good to me but how do you define "text file" in this context?
>
> Mime type, filename, sniffing? A pluggable way of doing that would be best.

No need for detecting a text file, the application requests it with adaptTo(Reader.class), if that provides a broken stream because the binary is not a text file, then it's a problem of the application. Just a little utility helper here.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 2:49 AM, Alexander Klimetschek
<ak...@adobe.com> wrote:
> ...when reading text files (nt:files) via the resource API, it would be useful
> to be able to adapt to a Reader, that is set up with the right charset....

Sounds good to me but how do you define "text file" in this context?

Mime type, filename, sniffing? A pluggable way of doing that would be best.

-Bertrand