Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by "Jan-Eirik B. Nævdal" <ja...@iterate.no> on 2011/03/21 22:43:52 UTC

Problems with creating a query that matches all the documents I want to display

Hi
Have this problem I tried to solve with filter queries but I think I`m stuck
now, and don't see a solution how to solve my problem.

My problem is that i want a result page that shows those documents that
matches
these filter query fq=openingtime:[* TO NOW] , fq=closingtime[NOW TO *] for
the documents with limited time access
but i want also all documents that does not have the fields openingtime and
closingtime defined
like this filter query fq=-openingtime[* TO *] and fq = -closingtime[* TO *]

Are there some solution that allows me to make a "join" of these two filter
queries, that supports pagination.
A client side "manual" join would not be the best solution here because of
the system the results are displayed in.

Simple example:
Document 1 : openingtime = 1545 1. May.2050  closingtime 1453 1. June.2050
//available in the future
Document 2:  Does not have the fields openingtime and closing time
Document 3   Does not have the fields openingtime and closing time
Document 4 openingtime = 1545 1. May.2010  closingtime 1453 1. June.2030 /
available now

My result page should then show document 2,3 and 4 but not document 1
Can anyone point me in the direction how to solve this

Technical information:
Solr 1.4.1 (is being ported from 1.3) (reasons for going to 3.x would be
appreciated
Default operator: AND
Several different documents where one type should only be displayed in the
results for a limited time. This information is indexed as dates in that
type of document.
Those fields does not exist on the other documents in the index.
Not any major changes in the schema.xml
A solr instance here can contain between 5K-10M documents

JanEirik

--
Jan Eirik B. Nævdal
Solutions Engineer | +47 982 65 347

Re: Problems with creating a query that matches all the documents I want to display

Posted by Markus Jelsma <ma...@openindex.io>.
Hi,

In a _high load_ environment with queryResultCache and filterCache enabled, you
need to be very careful about using NOW in its highest precision. It adds  -
and likely evicts - a non retrievable entry in both caches, wasting a lot of
resources.

It's best to always reduce precision when you use now; why cache at a
millisecond level if you can use a minute or hour or higer!

On the other hand, it's not a big issue if you have just a few queries per
second and if a slightly higer response time isn't a big deal ;)

Cheers,

Posted by "Jan-Eirik B. Nævdal" <ja...@iterate.no>.
Hi and thanks for all the answers.

I finally managed to construct a fq that did what I wanted

fq=(-(-obj_todate_dt:[NOW/MINUTE TO *] AND obj_todate_dt:[* TO *]) AND
-(-obj_fromdate_dt:[* TO NOW/MINUTE] AND obj_fromdate_dt:[* TO *]))

This gave me all documents without opening and closing time, and those
documents that should be open for viewable . Have to use minutes since the
solution uses minutes on opening and closing time.

friendly
Jan Eirik

Posted by Ahmet Arslan <io...@yahoo.com>.

How about using below as a &q= parameter? With &df=OR

+openingtime:[* TO NOW] +closingtime[NOW TO *] (+*:* -openingtime[* TO *] -closingtime[* TO *])

http://search-lucene.com/m/TN2a3WgvyX/

Posted by "Jan-Eirik B. Nævdal" <ja...@iterate.no>.

Posted by Jonathan Rochkind <ro...@jhu.edu>.