Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Reinhard Brandstädter <re...@ams-engineering.com> on 2004/11/10 14:12:34 UTC

Error parsing svn:externals

I'm trying to set the svn:externals property on a directory in my
working copy.
I'm calling:
svn propset svn:externals "http://fit-repos.ams.stiwa.com/trunk/doc/" doc

and get the following error:
svn: Error parsing svn:externals property on 'doc':
'http://fit-repos.ams.stiwa.com/trunk/doc/'

What's gioing wrong here?

Reinhard

Re: Error parsing svn:externals

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
Reinhard Brandstädter <re...@ams-engineering.com> writes:

> I'm trying to set the svn:externals property on a directory in my
> working copy.
> I'm calling:
> svn propset svn:externals "http://fit-repos.ams.stiwa.com/trunk/doc/" doc

The values of svn:externals isn't just a URL.  See this part of the Book:

   http://svnbook.red-bean.com/svnbook-1.1/ch07s03.html

Re: Error parsing svn:externals

Posted by Reinhard Brandstädter <r....@gmx.at>.
On Thursday 11 November 2004 18:26, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> TortoiseSVN interprets svn:externals properties because that feature is
> inherent in the svn client library.  All "clients" do it.  TortoiseSVN
> didn't have to do a thing to make it happen.
>
> It sounds like you're talking about writing a server-side web-browsing
> tool, like ViewCVS, which reads the repository directly and interprets
> the external properties, creating "virtual" views of project trees.
> Right?  That would work, definitely.

Oh yes that's the thing I'm thinking of although it doesn't have to be
serversided and web-based. If the svn client library can interpret
svn:externals another standalone client (like RapidSVN) could make use of
this feature and extend browsing of a repository over these external links.
Could be interesting

Reinhard

P.S.: sorry for posting my last message only to you not the list.

Re: Error parsing svn:externals

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Posted by Reinhard Brandstädter <r....@gmx.at>.