Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org> on 2007/08/30 23:08:14 UTC

log4j 1.2.15 dependencies

Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
>>  Path to dependency:      1)
>> org.apache.cocoon:cocoon-spring-configurator:jar:1.0.1-SNAPSHOT
>>      2) log4j:log4j:jar:1.2.15
>>      3) javax.jms:jms:jar:1.1
>
> Does anyone know why log4j has this dependencies introduced in minor version increase?

a quick guess: they indroduced Maven 2 recently and are not aware of the concept
of scopes ...

> Since this dependencies are not on central repository, shouldn't they be defined as provided, or so?

definitly, but it shouldn't be us to fix this in our pom. It's still a PITA that
    dependencies are not checked if they really exist when things are deployed
to the central repository.  *sigh*

Since we can probably leave out this release and wait for one with correct
dependencies, I set the version of log4j to 1.2.14 again.

(BTW, great to have Continuuum running again!)

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc

Re: log4j 1.2.15 dependencies

Posted by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gk...@apache.org>.
Reinhard Poetz pisze:
>> Since this dependencies are not on central repository, shouldn't they
>> be defined as provided, or so?
>
> definitly, but it shouldn't be us to fix this in our pom. It's still a
> PITA that    dependencies are not checked if they really exist when
> things are deployed to the central repository.  *sigh*

I agree that such check would help with silly mistakes and proper Maven evangelizing but the fault
is always on log4j team for broken release. POM is part of release and there is no excuse! :-)

> Since we can probably leave out this release and wait for one with
> correct dependencies, I set the version of log4j to 1.2.14 again.

I think we should report this problem to log4j community.

> (BTW, great to have Continuuum running again!)

Yes, but it's not always working properly, see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-1316
As soon as this issue is resolved I will be fully satisfied with our Continuuum instance.

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski