Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by jean duracel <je...@laposte.net> on 2010/11/11 20:46:37 UTC

Embedding vs not embedding Times font

Dear reader,

I encounter some problem with using the Times font and fop.

I produce documents with special characters.

By special characters I mean for example γ, ... greek technical characters.

When I embedded this font, specials characters are displayed inside the pdf
file but the find/copy doesn't work any more. This seems related to the CID
effect associed to ttf font.

As this font should be inside the reader, I thought it was not necessary to
embedded it. But if I do that, special characters are not display inside my
reader, in fact they are replaced by a "#" character.

I thought it might be related to a reader problem, then I decompress the
pdf file and dig inside it and was surprised to found that the character was
replaced by a #.

Your comments and help will be welcome !

Thanks in advance.

Jean

Re: Embedding vs not embedding Times font

Posted by jean duracel <je...@laposte.net>.
Hello Jeremias,

Thanks a lot for your answer.

I was using the old 0205 version of fop. After digging inside the pdf spec, I
find the point related to embedded fonts and the ToUnicode map.

And finally find in the fop 1.0 changes that this behavior  was included.

Now it works !

Thanks a lot for the good work !

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Salut Jean

On 11.11.2010 20:46:37 jean duracel wrote:
> Dear reader,
>
> I encounter some problem with using the Times font and fop.
>
> I produce documents with special characters.
>
> By special characters I mean for example γ, ... greek technical characters.
>
> When I embedded this font, specials characters are displayed inside the pdf
> file but the find/copy doesn't work any more. This seems related to the CID
> effect associed to ttf font.

Which FOP version are you using? Currently FOP versions should do that
correctly.

> As this font should be inside the reader, I thought it was not necessary to
> embedded it. But if I do that, special characters are not display inside my
> reader, in fact they are replaced by a "#" character.

Yes, our base14 Times font only supports the WinAnsi 8-bit encoding.
It's a good idea to embed the font, except if there are particular
reasons not to.

> I thought it might be related to a reader problem, then I decompress the
> pdf file and dig inside it and was surprised to found that the character was
> replaced by a #.

That happens by FOP if a particular glyph is not available for a Unicode
character. You should also get warnings in the FOP log.

> Your comments and help will be welcome !
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Jean

HTH
Jeremias Maerki