Posted to users@tiles.apache.org by murthy gandikota <mu...@yahoo.com> on 2008/07/25 21:17:30 UTC

Beginner Question

I am entrusted with a major Tiles project. Almost all of the code was writter by outsources.
I see that they have defined:

a) a tiles.xml with definitions like
<definition name="lfp.tiles"
    path="/HomePageTemplate.jsp">
    <put name="top-header" value="/xyz.jsp" />
    <put name="header" value="/r.jsp" />
    <put name="menu" value="/n.jsp" />
    <put name="footer" value="/ter.jsp" />
  </definition>

b) a bunch of templates (e.g. HomePageTemplate.jsp) with code like
<tiles:insert attribute="top-header"/>

c) a bunch of JSP that are defined in the Templates

What I don't understand how does the application (Java Server Faces) know which template
to call?

I tried searching for TilesContainer in the java files but no hits. So  they are not
using the templates dynamically. There is also a faces-navigation.xml which
does not refer to the templates.

Thanks for your help
Murthy

Re: Beginner Question

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.
2008/7/25 murthy gandikota <mu...@yahoo.com>:
> What I don't understand how does the application (Java Server Faces) know which template
> to call?

Errr... do you want us to know what your application does? This is
black magic :-D

> I tried searching for TilesContainer in the java files but no hits. So  they are not
> using the templates dynamically.

>From your snippets of Tiles definition files, it seems that you are
using Tiles 1. TilesContainer is a concept of Tiles 2.

> There is also a faces-navigation.xml which
> does not refer to the templates.

Do you use MyFaces?
See: http://wiki.apache.org/myfaces/Tiles_and_JSF

Ciao
Antonio

Re: Beginner Question

Posted by murthy gandikota <mu...@yahoo.com>.
I see a bunch of declarations in tiles.xml like:

 <definition name="/Prov.tiles"
    extends="layoutRightPane.tiles">
    <put name="title" value="xyz" />
    <put name="body"
      value="Prov.jsp" />
       <put name="menu" value="Pane.jsp" />
  </definition>

Guess when the Prov.jsp is called then it will use the layout Prov.tiles. The jsp value in body property should match with the definition name extending a tiles def. Seems very
convoluted. Any clarification is appreciated.

Thanks
Murthy