Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Zhenxin wang <zh...@docomolabs-usa.com> on 2002/07/30 04:09:05 UTC

Tomcat4.0.4: how to build a smaller version

I wonder how I can build a smaller version of Tomcat by taking away some of the features I do not need, such as security, cluster, logger, and sessions. Is there an easy way to do it? Or the only way is to change the code?

--Zhenxin Wang
DoCoMo Labs USA

MinTC, got problem while try to run "java -jar mtc.jar"

Posted by Zhenxin wang <zh...@docomolabs-usa.com>.
I downloaded the MinTC from DistribuTopia web site, and successfully built
mtc.jar.
When I try to run "java -jar mtc.jar", I got the following error msg

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: mtcserver

Looks like the mtcserver.java file generated into src directory from "ant
gen_demo" is empty. So is the file of webapps_cks_mtcdep.java .

Thanks!

--Zhenxin Wang
DoCoMo Labs USA

Re: Tomcat4.0.4: how to build a smaller version

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Mon, 29 Jul 2002, Zhenxin wang wrote:

> Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 19:09:05 -0700
> From: Zhenxin wang <zh...@docomolabs-usa.com>
> To: tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: Tomcat4.0.4: how to build a smaller version
>
> I wonder how I can build a smaller version of Tomcat by taking away some
> of the features I do not need, such as security, cluster, logger, and
> sessions. Is there an easy way to do it? Or the only way is to change
> the code?

Some things are easy, some things are fundamental ...

You might try searching the mailing list archives for references to
Christopher Cain's "MinTC" implementation -- his goal was an absolute bare
bones minimum implementation of a servlet container based on the Catalina
architecture, but reduced in scope and capability.

One such archive for TOMCAT-DEV (and TOMCAT-USER) is available at:

  http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/

> --Zhenxin Wang
> DoCoMo Labs USA

Craig