Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Sung Kim <hu...@hotmail.com> on 2003/12/17 07:36:01 UTC

Getting Subversion metrics

Hello,

We are working on getting some subversion history metrics from a Subversion
repository.

We basically need number of lines changed, date, and revision number.

Using svnlook we can do this:

svnlook youngest: Get last revision number

For each revision: {
 svnlook info -rxx: to get auther and date
 svnlook diff : parsing diff results to get all files and number of  changes
}

But the 'svnlook diff' is expensive and it produces too much unnecessarily
data for us. We need only number of lines changed and size of the file.

Is there any simple way to get those data from Subversion?

--
Sung Kim

Re: Getting Subversion metrics

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
"Sung Kim" <hu...@hotmail.com> writes:

> We are working on getting some subversion history metrics from a Subversion
> repository.
>
> We basically need number of lines changed, date, and revision number.

[...]

> Is there any simple way to get those data from Subversion?

Unlike CVS, Subversion doesn't store contextual diffs.  So to do the
calculation you are talking about *is* to calculate contextual diffs.
As for the cost of that, I can't believe that actually printing out
the lines of text is such a terrible cost on top of the actual diff
calculation.