Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au> on 2009/05/05 07:48:42 UTC

Re: Fulcrum components bsf and groovy obsoleted by script?

It appears that JSR-223 is bit of a mixed bag.

As Siegfried has said below there were changes to the spec between its
1.0 release and its inclusion in JDK 6:

    * Namespace was renamed to Bindings
    * SimpleNamespace became SimpleBindings
    * Invocable.invoke() methods became Invocable.invokeFunction(String
      Object...) and Invocable.invokeMethod(Object, String Object...)
      [note the use of varargs]
    * there may be one or two other small changes.

You can download a bunch of ScriptEngine implementations from
https://scripting.dev.java.net/ - I presume these all work with JDK 6,
certainly the JavaScript one does.  Note that JDK 6 on Windows includes
Rhino and the com.sun.script implementation of ScriptEngine, but since
scripting engines are optional you cannot actually rely on this being
present (e.g. JDK 6 on OS X does not come with Rhino).  To use Rhino on
OS X with JDK 6 you need the java.net ScriptEngine implementation (which
comes in a package named com.sun.phobos.script and appears to work
nicely with a standard Rhino download).  The java.net implementation is
not available in a maven repository (though it is BSD licensed and is
not a huge amount of code).

AFAICT there is no stand alone version of javax.script that has been
updated to reflect the above changes so as to support JDK versions prior
to 6.  I did come across an Apache ScriptEngine implementation for Rhino
at
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/sling/trunk/bundles/scripting/javascript/
- sling seems to indicate that JDK 5 is okay, so I am not sure what they
are doing.

What do people think of saying that fulcrum-script is a JDK 6+
component?  fulcrum-bsf/fulcrum-groovy could be retained in some form to
support JDK < 6 (note that there is chatter about a new release of BSF).

Of course if Siegfried can convince the JSR-223 spec lead to release a
stand alone update to the javax.script API then fulcrum-script should be
able to use it to support JDK < 6, but until then...  (can JDK 1.4 code
pass vararg arguments such as Object... as Object[]?)

I have patches here to update fulcrum-script to work with JDK 6, but I
won't commit them without comment from Siegfried.

Scott

Posted by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>.
Siegfried Goeschl wrote:
> Hi Scott,
>
> thanks for the gentle reminder ...
>
> +) I have an updated version based on the final JSR-223 release (but not
> committed) that works for Groovy and Rhino
> +) this implementation is already using the libraries from
> https://scripting.dev.java.net/
> +) the main problem I had is supporting JDK 1.5 which I solved at
> ApacheCon - the non-released bsf-api-3.0 is an ASF implementation for
> JSR-223
> +) so fulcrum-script is a JDK1.5+ component
>
> So the only thing which stopped me from committing is that the various
> ScriptEngine (Groovy, Rhino) implementation are not on any M2 repo - I
> currently keep them in a lib directory and tell M2 to pick them up from
> there. BTW,  I'm pretty sure that https://scripting.dev.java.net/ was
> not BSD licenced a while ago.
>
> Anyway - how to handle the ScriptEngine libraries
>
> +) M2 repo upload request but there are no official releases for the
> them ... :-(
> +) put them in our SVN repo in a "lib" directory with PMC blessing

Groovy: http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/codehaus/groovy/groovy-all/1.6.3/

Rhino: A search[1] shows someone is at least receptive to deploying to a
maven repository, but in the interest of allowing us to move forward I
am +1 on either proceeding with a pointer in the release notes to the
requirement to manually download the file, or even to drop a copy into SVN.
> And the unreleased BSF libraries ...

Can re run with 3.0-b3 from
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/bsf/bsf-utils/

Scott
[1]
http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.dev.tech.js-engine.rhino/search?group=mozilla.dev.tech.js-engine.rhino&q=maven&qt_g=Search+this+group

Posted by Scott Eade <se...@apache.org>.
Siegfried,

Any movement in sight on fulcrum-script?

Cheers,

Scott

Posted by Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.at>.
Hi Scott,