Posted to -deprecated@jakarta.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2001/05/02 10:24:49 UTC

Re: Sandbox for Wayward Ant Tasks

Vincent Massol <vm...@octo.com> wrote:

> I am very interested in having a repository of "wayward" Ant task as
> I think that is what is missing from Ant.

I completely agree with you - and I expect some contributed tasks
module under the Ant umbrella sooner or later, but not before we've
come closer to Ant2.

We'd need to setup rules similar to those of commons and all that (and
this is not the focus of the Ant developers right now), so maybe
Commons could take the lead and we'd move those tasks over to a Ant
submodule later?

> A lot of persons are eager to contribute tasks but these tasks seem
> to get lost on the mailing list and never reach any kind of
> repository where there could be stored and described for users.

I'd encourage everybody who can find a (temporary) home for a
contributed task to get a link up at
<http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/external.html>.

> Also, if we want this to be successful, we need to have the
> cooperation of the Ant committers

At least three Ant committers hang around here as well, shouldn't be a
problem. 8-)

> so that they redirect all persons submitting Ant tasks to the
> sandbox.

Most of the people submitting tasks are not a jakarta committers at
all, would you want to give commit access to everybody who contributes
a single Ant task?

Of course we can point them to the sandbox, but it'll probably take
some help from commons-committers as well.

> And they will also need to advertise the sandbox on the Ant web site
> so that persons know where to find contributed Ant tasks.

No problem at all, see above.

Stefan

Re: Sandbox for Wayward Ant Tasks

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
At 10:24  2/5/01 +0200, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>> Also, if we want this to be successful, we need to have the
>> cooperation of the Ant committers
>
>At least three Ant committers hang around here as well, shouldn't be a
>problem. 8-)

One thing I would not like to see is ant committers having to support these
tasks - especially the "Evil" foreach/whil/if tasks. So perhaps they could
be hosted under org.apache.commons.ant.* just to make 100% sure that
ant-dev is not responsible for it ;)

Cheers,

Pete

Re: Sandbox for Wayward Ant Tasks