Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Dave Colasurdo <da...@earthlink.net> on 2005/10/18 22:58:42 UTC

Geronimo examples

I've just opened two JIRAs (GERONIMO-1087, GERONIMO-1088) to integrate
the Tomcat servlet and JSP examples into geronimo..  Please review and
give them a quick test drive..

A few questions..

1) The applications are already built over on the Tomcat project and
included in the tomcat binary distribution as an exploded war.  So, the
tomcat distribution contains both the class files and jar files in the
format that the application expects.  I've added the exploded wars into
the geronimo application tree and use maven to create the wars.
Basically keeping the tomcat format of the files intact.  I noticed the
patch I created shows some files (class, jar) as non-displayable files.
  It's unclear to me whether  these are valid filetypes to deliver as
patches?  BTW, I view the applications somewhat like dependencies and
not really planning to fork the code base..

2) The jsp-examples application would not deploy on geronimo until I
made changes to remove LF(x0A) characters from the web.xml file..

I suspect the same error occurs when the Tomcat web container is used.
I've fixed the immediate LF problem in web.xml but was wondering if
geronimo has a problem in this area.. (since the application deploys
fine in standalone Tomcat)..  Is a JIRA needed here?

The error was:

   15:19:17,614 WARN  [JettyModuleBuilder] Web application does not
contain a WEB-INF/geronimo-web.xml deployment plan.  This may or may not
be a problem, depending on whether you have things like resource
references that need to be resolved.
  You can also give the deployer a separate deployment plan file on the
command line.
org.apache.geronimo.common.DeploymentException: <url-pattern> must not
contain LF(#xA)
         at
org.apache.geronimo.jetty.deployment.JettyModuleBuilder.checkString(JettyModuleBuilder.java:1316)
         at
org.apache.geronimo.jetty.deployment.JettyModuleBuilder.checkURLPattern(JettyModuleBuilder.java:1298)
         at
org.apache.geronimo.jetty.deployment.JettyModuleBuilder.check(JettyModuleBuilder.java:1283)
         at
org.apache.geronimo.jetty.deployment.JettyModuleBuilder.createModule(JettyModuleBuilder.java:230)
         at
org.apache.geronimo.jetty.deployment.JettyModuleBuilder.createModule(JettyModuleBuilder.java:194)
         at
org.apache.geronimo.jetty.deployment.JettyModuleBuilder$$FastClassByCGLIB$$b30bba8a.invoke(<generated>)
         at
org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.FastMethodInvoker.invoke(FastMethodInvoker.java:38)
         at
org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanOperation.invoke(GBeanOperation.java:118)

Thanks
-Dave-

Re: Geronimo examples

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@savoirtech.com>.
Please try it on the Tomcat container.  IIRC, I thought we fixed this on
the Tomcat side since there was a JIRA issue on this.

Thanks,

Jeff

Re: Geronimo examples

Posted by Dave Colasurdo <da...@earthlink.net>.
Has anyone had a chance to review these patches?  Can we get them
checked into the source tree?

Also, would like these two sample applications to be included in the
default binary distributions.  Suspect a minor change is required to
include these in the binary image.

Thanks
-Dave-

Re: Geronimo examples

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Oct 18, 2005, at 1:58 PM, Dave Colasurdo wrote:

> I've just opened two JIRAs (GERONIMO-1087, GERONIMO-1088) to integrate
> the Tomcat servlet and JSP examples into geronimo..  Please review and
> give them a quick test drive..
>
> A few questions..
>
> 1) The applications are already built over on the Tomcat project and
> included in the tomcat binary distribution as an exploded war.  So,
> the tomcat distribution contains both the class files and jar files in
> the format that the application expects.  I've added the exploded wars
> into the geronimo application tree and use maven to create the wars.
> Basically keeping the tomcat format of the files intact.  I noticed
> the patch I created shows some files (class, jar) as non-displayable
> files.  It's unclear to me whether  these are valid filetypes to
> deliver as patches?  BTW, I view the applications somewhat like
> dependencies and not really planning to fork the code base..
>
> 2) The jsp-examples application would not deploy on geronimo until I
> made changes to remove LF(x0A) characters from the web.xml file..
>
> I suspect the same error occurs when the Tomcat web container is used.
> I've fixed the immediate LF problem in web.xml but was wondering if
> geronimo has a problem in this area.. (since the application deploys
> fine in standalone Tomcat)..  Is a JIRA needed here?
>
> The error was:
>
>   15:19:17,614 WARN  [JettyModuleBuilder] Web application does not
> contain a WEB-INF/geronimo-web.xml deployment plan.  This may or may
> not be a problem, depending on whether you have things like resource
> references that need to be resolved.
>  You can also give the deployer a separate deployment plan file on the
> command line.
> org.apache.geronimo.common.DeploymentException: <url-pattern> must not
> contain LF(#xA)

There's some disagreement whether the servlet spec allows trimming
leading and trailing white space from url-patterns.  Right now we are
not trimming them.  There's a jira issue saying we should:
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-1008  You are not the
first to notice that including white space causes problems right now.

thanks
david jencks