Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Askild Aaberg Olsen <as...@xangeli.com> on 2007/05/01 21:13:41 UTC

Re: using jena

Al Brown wrote:
> I'm trying to  use the latest version of jena in an xsp. I thought I
> could just remove the jena-2.1.jar and replace it with the jar from
> jena 2.5.2 in .../cocoon/WEB-INF/lib directory and restart tomcat server.
>
> It did not work.

<snip/>
> I'm new to both cocoon and jena.

I've been using Jena with Cocoon without problems, so it's definitely
possible. If i remember correctly, Jena is included with the Deli-block.
You probably should make sure that this block is excluded from the build.

You should also check that the error you get is actually a result of you
replacing jena.jar. If not, this is another issue that should be
resolved before you continue.

Askild
-

Re: using jena

Posted by Al Brown <mr...@lighttechnology.net>.
Askild Aaberg Olsen wrote:
> Al Brown wrote:
>> I'm trying to  use the latest version of jena in an xsp. I thought I
>> could just remove the jena-2.1.jar and replace it with the jar from
>> jena 2.5.2 in .../cocoon/WEB-INF/lib directory and restart tomcat
>> server.
>>
>> It did not work.
>>
> <snip/>
>> I'm new to both cocoon and jena.
>>
> I've been using Jena with Cocoon without problems, so it's definitely
> possible. If i remember correctly, Jena is included with the
> Deli-block. You probably should make sure that this block is excluded
> from the build.
>
> You should also check that the error you get is actually a result of
> you replacing jena.jar. If not, this is another issue that should be
> resolved before you continue.
>
> Askild
> -
Thanks, its good to know that I'm not alone.

I have part of my code working. I can open a prebuilt  repoistory and
create a model.
When I go to run a query it fails. I have checked the version number, at
runtime, and I'm using the jena that came with cocoon.
It seems to not use my java classpath at all.
I have look in the jena-2.1.jar and it is a lot different than the one
that came with jena-2.5.2

I will try to reconfirm that I have a problem switching jena. I assume
that you are using what came with cocoon. Are you doing any sparql querries?

Al

Re: using jena

Posted by Askild Aaberg Olsen <as...@xangeli.com>.
Al Brown wrote:
> Askild Aaberg Olsen wrote:
>> I've been using Jena with Cocoon without problems, so it's definitely
>> possible. If i remember correctly, Jena is included with the
>> Deli-block. You probably should make sure that this block is excluded
>> from the build.
>>
>> You should also check that the error you get is actually a result of
>> you replacing jena.jar. If not, this is another issue that should be
>> resolved before you continue.
>>
>> Askild
>> -
> Thanks, its good to know that I'm not alone.
>
> I have part of my code working. I can open a prebuilt  repoistory and
> create a model.
> When I go to run a query it fails. I have checked the version number,
> at runtime, and I'm using the jena that came with cocoon.
> It seems to not use my java classpath at all.
> I have look in the jena-2.1.jar and it is a lot different than the one
> that came with jena-2.5.2
>
> I will try to reconfirm that I have a problem switching jena. I assume
> that you are using what came with cocoon. Are you doing any sparql
> querries?
>
> Al
We replaced jena-2.1.jar with 2.3 or 2.4 i think, and also did
SPARQL-queries. This was from Flow and in XSLT (calling Java from Saxon,
which is actually a very nice feature...).
I haven't tried it with XSP.

There should not be any problems using Jena with Cocoon. I guess that if
you sort out your classpath-problems, then you'r up and running.

One issue I can think of is finding a way to keep the model in memory
between requests. We did not get as far as solving this, since that part
of the project are "resting", but I guess you could create your own
class with a static field to hold your models, like when keeping
Hibernate SessionFactories as in
http://www.hibernate.org/hib_docs/v3/reference/en/html_single/#tutorial-firstapp-helpers

And there's also the Issue of what to do with your results in Cocoon. I
guess that your planning to output your SPARQL-results into a pipeline.
Going from a graph-based model to XML (not RDF/XML) is not trivial, but
we were inspired by the following paper:
http://www.idealliance.org/papers/extreme/proceedings/html/2006/Souzis01/EML2006Souzis01.html

This resulted in a working prototype on an XQuery-engine towards the
Jena API.

I'm interested in hearing your results on these issues :-)

Askild
-