Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Gregoire Diboula <gr...@gmx.net> on 2005/08/21 14:58:50 UTC

Struts in Desktop Application

Hi *,

Please help me in taking this decision. I am leading the development
team of a desktop application. We are considering the eventuality of
having our application running in Jetty  and based on Struts.

We are, however afraid of the size that the final application will get.
My question is, therefore: do I really need all of the libraries and
files of the Struts distribution (struts/lib)? What library (or file)
can I omit and what is essential?

Thanks for your support,

Gregoire.

Re: Struts in Desktop Application

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
Gregoire-

Personally I prefer developing Internet applications so you can store the
main body logic or processing residing on a secure server
Every binary download to a desktop means you have to test/configure your
download for every desktop configuration permutation on the planet
I think I would rather target FireFox,Netscape and IE browser clients
(vs getting emails from someone who cant run the binary because they ran out
of diskspace)
~Just my 2 cents~

Bon Chance/Viel Gluck,
Martin-
Posted by Gregoire Diboula <gr...@gmx.net>.
Larry Meadors wrote:
> I agree, desktop applications are sometimes a requirement or just an
> improvement over a browser based application.
>
> For example: compare maps.google.com to google earth. :-)
>
> What I still don't understand is why you would include any part of
> struts with a desktop application. :-)

There are two reasons:
1) An important part of the application was already built around the
struts solution (indeed for a centralized web solution).
2) Since there is more than 20 pages that have to be carefully organized
and displayed, I am afraid that things get complicated in the middle of
porting the struts solution to a non-struts solution.

Gregoire.

Posted by Larry Meadors <la...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gregoire Diboula <gr...@gmx.net>.

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.