Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by Scott Lindner <sc...@gmail.com> on 2012/01/10 16:35:43 UTC

minimum time to kick off MapReduce job

Hi,

I am experiencing slow startup times when submitting a MapReduce job
(single node cluster for testing purposes) and was hoping someone could
confirm that this was expected behavior.  Even a job that does absolutely
no processing takes 20-30 seconds to complete.  Is this expected?  If not,
what is the rough minimum time to kick off a newly submitted job?

Thanks,
-Scott

Re: minimum time to kick off MapReduce job

Posted by Scott Lindner <sc...@gmail.com>.
I am really just using the default settings w/ HADOOP_HEAPSIZE=2000.  I'm
running on a 4-core node w/ 4GB ram for testing purposes.  CPU isn't being
used by anything else and there is plenty of RAM available.

I've seen similar behavior across all OS (windows, linux, os x) and just
wanted to confirm the rough times.  From everything that I've read & from

-Scott

Posted by David Ginzburg <gi...@hotmail.com>.
It is possible
What kind of node are you using, what other  processes are running? what are the Xmx for NN and JT ?

Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 10:35:43 -0500
Subject: minimum time to kick off MapReduce job
From: scott.a.lindner@gmail.com
To: mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org