Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ja...@cardsetc.com on 2000/04/12 07:55:31 UTC

Cannot start Tomcat3.1rc1 binary distribution

Folks,

I recently downloaded the binary build of the 3.1 Release Candidate 1.  I
have a problem that is somewhat perplexing me, in that it fails to start,
due to an inability to find the
org.apache.tomcat.service.http.HttpConnectionHandler class.

Here's a transcript of my output...

D:\Downloads\jakarta\jakarta-tomcat>bin\startup.bat

Starting tomcat in new window

Using classpath: .\classes;.\lib\webserver.jar;.\lib\jasper.jar;.
\lib\xml.jar;.\lib\servlet.jar;c:\jdk1.2\lib\tools.jar;c:\ocf1.1.1\
lib\all.jar;d:\java;c:\base;c:\cams;c:\jdk1.2\lib\tools.jar;c:
\cams\config;j:\packages

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org/apache/tomcat/service/http/HttpConnectionHandler
<stack trace....>
Context log: path="/examples" Adding context path="/examples"  docBase
="webapps/examples"
Context log: path="" Adding context path=""  docBase="webapps/ROOT"
Context log: path="/test" Adding context path="/test"  docBase
="webapps/test"
Starting tomcat... some more messages, and ultimately fails with an
Exception: Invalid Connection Handler

Now, the classpath that is displayed seems to clearly indicate that
webserver.jar (which contains
org.apache.tomcat.service.http.HttpConnectionHandler.class) is included in
the classpath.  So am I missing something really obvious here?

I believe someone said that they suspected there might be problems with the
binary release of this JDK with certain JVMs?  For the record I am using
the Sun JDK 1.2 (java -version reports 'Classic VM (build JDK-1.2-V, native
threads)')  on WinNT (Service Pack 4 I think ;-)

I can always build from source distribution (the source appears to be
included in the binary distribution by the way) - but I thought I'd pipe up
since this may cause others problems as well!

Regards,
James W.

Cards etc will be on stand 1161 at CardTech SecurTech in Miami
from 2nd May to 4th May. Look forward to seeing you there!

This e-mail is from Cards Etc Pty Limited (ACN: 069 533 302).
This e-mail may contain privileged and confidential information.
If you are not an intended recipient, please notify us immediately
(by reply e-mail) and delete this e-mail from your system.

Re: Cannot start Tomcat3.1rc1 binary distribution

Posted by Michael Sundell <ms...@ca-coast.com>.
Hi Jim,

I already have it set up that way.

My enviroment is: