Posted to dev@river.apache.org by Peter Firmstone <pe...@zeus.net.au> on 2012/01/09 23:55:30 UTC

Re: [concurrency-interest] Non Blocking java.security.Policy - synchronized method is superclass.

It's not causing any noticeable problems for me on 4 cpu's, looks like
it caused enough contention for someone to report it though, it's fixed
in Java 8.

We have a new SecurityManager that checks ProtectionDomain's in the
AccessControlContext in parallel, rather than in series, if there are
ten ProtectionDomain's on the stack, that would increase the number of
threads accessing the lock by a factor of ten.

So the potentials certainly there.

-Peter.

7093090
*Votes* 0
*Synopsis* Reduce synchronization in
java.security.Policy.getPolicyNoCheck *
Category* java:classes_security
*Reported Against* *Release Fixed* 8(b15) *
State* 10-Fix Delivered, bug *Priority:* 2-High *Related Bugs* *Submit
Date* 20-SEP-2011 *Description*

java.security.Policy.getPolicyNoCheck() is synchronized which causes
some thread contention.
Posted Date : 2011-09-20 23:44:03.0

*Work Around*

N/A

*Evaluation*

The fix involved adding an initialized flag to indicate when the
system-wide
policy has been initialized and storing both the flag and the Policy
object in
an AtomicReference. Then, I also used the double-check locking idiom to
avoid
locking the Policy class when the Policy had already been initialized.

Changeset: http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk8/tl/jdk/rev/1945abeb82a0
Posted Date : 2011-11-22 15:15:14.0