Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by Nick Burch <ni...@alfresco.com> on 2010/06/15 14:11:54 UTC

[VOTE] Release POI 3.7 beta 1 (20100620)

Hi All

It's been about 6 months now since 3.6 FINAL, and the changelog [1] shows
we've fixed a fairly hefty number of bugs, even if there haven't been that
many new features. So, I'd like to propose that we do a beta release.

The release candidate files, tagged as 20100620, are available from:
 	http://people.apache.org/~nick/POI-3.7-beta1/
(The standard packages of source and binary are under /dist/, while the jars
and poms to feed into the maven repo are in /maven/)

As with all apache release votes, please check that not only does the code
work, and no major breakages have occured since the last release, but also
that packaging is correct, license headers and notices exist etc.

This beta build is back to the previous ooxml-schemas-1.0 jar file.
This is available from maven, or via the "compile-ooxml-xsds" ant task.
Please note that the next beta will almost certainly use the
ooxml-schemas-1.1 version, which was compiled against Java 1.5, while this
version will run happily with either.

Voting to bless the release candidates as the 3.7 beta 1 release will run
until Sunday 20th June. Please vote:

  +1 - I support this release
   0 - I don't object to this release, but I haven't checked it
  -1 - There's a problem with the release, and that is ....

My vote is +1

Nick

[1] http://poi.apache.org/changes.html

Re: [VOTE] Release POI 3.7 beta 1 (20100620)

Posted by Max Valjanski <ma...@jet.msk.su>.
+1

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 8:02 PM, Nick Burch <ni...@alfresco.com> wrote:
> IIRC, the only changes needed should be in the scratchpad for HSMF. (Patch
> for that in Jira). In general, anything in the scratchpad is subject to
> change its API, as we normally still need to do major work to implement
> funcationality. Stuff in the main jar should be compatible (or largely so)
> between releases

Good point. Agreed that the scratchpad doesn't need strict backwards
compatibility promises.

> (FWIW, if you apply all the patches from me currently pending in Tika's
> jira, it ought to compile just fine against the release candidate jars, as I
> did a custom tika build using them earlier this week)

That's what I did. Thanks for the work there!

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: [VOTE] Release POI 3.7 beta 1 (20100620)

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@alfresco.com>.
On Thu, 17 Jun 2010, Jukka Zitting wrote:
> Works great with Tika, though I'll note that due to the already tight
> POI integration in Tika the version upgrade requires quite a few code
> changes in Tika. I think it would be useful for POI to specify a set of
> APIs that are guaranteed to remain backwards-compatible over minor
> version upgrades.

IIRC, the only changes needed should be in the scratchpad for HSMF. (Patch
for that in Jira). In general, anything in the scratchpad is subject to
change its API, as we normally still need to do major work to implement
funcationality. Stuff in the main jar should be compatible (or largely so)
between releases

Was there a change needed for things other than HSMF?

Re: [Result] [VOTE] Release POI 3.7 beta 1 (20100620)

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@alfresco.com>.
On Tue, 15 Jun 2010, Nick Burch wrote:
> The release candidate files, tagged as 20100620, are available from:
> 	http://people.apache.org/~nick/POI-3.7-beta1/
> (The standard packages of source and binary are under /dist/, while the jars
> and poms to feed into the maven repo are in /maven/)
>
> Voting to bless the release candidates as the 3.7 beta 1 release will run
> until Sunday 20th June.

Sorry for the delay in closing this off - free wifi proved more elusive
than expected in Anjou...

Anyway, the voting has closed, and the release vote has passed - 4 +1
votes, of which 3 were binding

I've pushed the files to the dist area, so mirrors should pick then up
within a day.

Nick

Re: [VOTE] Release POI 3.7 beta 1 (20100620)

Posted by Yegor Kozlov <ye...@dinom.ru>.
+1

Yegor

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@alfresco.com>.
On Tue, 15 Jun 2010, Joseph D. Wagner wrote:
> Who gets to vote? And how many votes does it take to approve?

There's a good foundation-wide guide at:

Basically, anyone and everyone is allowed to vote. To be approved, the
vote needs at least 3 +1s from PMC members (which is required so that the
foundation will take on the legal responsibility were anyone to ever get
sued over a release), and no valid -1s. Despite only requiring the 3 PMC
votes, everyone else is encouraged to try out the potential release, and
vote on it.

Nick