Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Chi Huiyang <hu...@outlook.com> on 2023/12/11 16:33:29 UTC

Ask about opportunities to become an Apache Volunteer

Hi developer:

This is Hannah, master student from UIUC. I'm looking forward a employee letter by doing the volunteer work since I need an employment letter to support my OPT to stay in United States.

In my last semester of school, I did many works to contribute to Apache by improving the reliability of the systems. My PR had been accepted by ActiveMQ, Wicket, Curator, etc. With the internship experience in AI, security, as well as development experience with Java/Database/Cloud tools, I'm poised to contribute to Apache foundation by being a software developer.

My resume will be attached and Here is my github page : https://github.com/MyEnthusiastic

Re: Ask about opportunities to become an Apache Volunteer

Posted by rb...@rcbowen.com.
On Mon, 2023-12-11 at 16:33 +0000, Chi Huiyang wrote:

> Hi developer:
>

> This is Hannah, master student from UIUC. I'm looking forward a
> employee letter by doing the volunteer work since I need an
> employment letter to support my OPT to stay in United States.
>
> In my last semester of school, I did many works to contribute to
> Apache by improving the reliability of the systems. My PR had been
> accepted by ActiveMQ, Wicket, Curator, etc. With the internship
> experience in AI, security, as well as development experience with
> Java/Database/Cloud tools, I'm poised to contribute to Apache
> foundation by being a software developer.
>

> My resume will be attached and Here is my github page :
> https://github.com/MyEnthusiastic

Thanks so much for reaching out to us.

As you've already experienced, volunteering for work at the Apache
Software Foundation is done by just doing it. It sounds like you've
already successfully become part of several projects - getting PRs
accepted by a project makes you a part of those projects already.
Congratulations.

We have a document here -
https://community.apache.org/contributor-ladder.html - that discusses
the "ladder" of progress through Apache projects, and it all comes down
to one thing - doing the work. As you do the work, you will gain trust
in the community/project that you want to work on. That, in turn, will
result in increased responsibility and leadership.

No project is going to look at your resume. Rather, they will look at
your contributions to that project.

So ... welcome. We look forward to seeing more of you in the coming
months and years.

--Rich