Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com> on 2007/03/29 15:14:46 UTC

Re: Inter-release minor fixes?

On 3/29/07, Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@golux.com> wrote:
> The UIMA podling has a fairly serious problem that was inadvertently
> introduced as part of the move to Apache, and was discovered by
> the users after the recent release.  The fix is to update a few
> files in a JAR; i.e., provide a replacement JAR.
>
> I don't recall seeing this sort of thing coming up before (though
> it probably has), so unless someone has a better suggestion here's
> what I propose:
>
> 1. The new JAR is put in the same download area as the UIMA release,
>    appropriately named.

it's important that the jar has a different name

(different cuts with the same name have a nasty habit of making trouble later)

> 2. A notice and instructions are posted to the Web and the mailing
>    lists.

sounds good

remember to tag (i've seen later issues with emergency releases where
this hasn't happened)

> Since this is not a full release issue, I'd like to assume lazy
> consensus for the above; i.e., unless someone objects, that's
> what we'll do on Sunday or Monday.

i'd feel much more comfortable with a release vote: every project
should have a release vote for every official release. it's just that
emergency fix releases like this should need much less scrutiny than
full releases and so can be done much quicker.

i'd recommend running votes in parrallel on UIMA and prefixing the
vote with  [VOTE][EMERGENCY]. given mentor votes, it shouldn't be hard
to find the 3 +1's from IPMC in the next day or two.

- robert