Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Glen Daniels <gd...@allaire.com> on 2001/02/20 17:03:20 UTC

F2F "Hackathon" on Feb 28 - March 1st, in Newton MA

Hi folks!

As has been recently discussed on the list, a bunch of us think it would be
a great idea to get together for a couple of days of face-to-face meetings
to work out a lot of the architectural issues that have been coming up as we
work on the Axis codebase.  Also, since we expect Axis to be a serious
production-quality system, we should try and have some good discussions
about ground rules for how we go about the development process.

So, on Wednesday and Thursday of next week, Allaire is going to be hosting
the first Axis Hackathon in Newton, MA.  Please consider coming along if
there's a way you can make it.

DATES AND TIMES:

Feb 28th - March 1st
9:00AM - ???PM
We'll supply lunch, and we'll go out to dinner on Wednesday night.

AGENDA AND THEMES:

We will be working up an agenda in the next few days.  Please be aware that
this is NOT meant to be an exclusionary activity - in other words, if you
can't make it that doesn't mean we're going to make irrevocable decisions
for the whole team.  We will keep careful notes on what we discuss and
accomplish, and present the results to the team for review and voting.  The
purpose of this hackathon is to get some group of people together for more
high-bandwidth discussion and code experimentation in hopes of moving the
project along a little faster than it's been going with just email and IRC
chats.

If you can't make it, but would like to participate via phone, we can
probably conference people in to the room as well.

HOTEL INFORMATION:

The closest hotel by far is the Holiday Inn Newton
(http://www.basshotels.com/holiday-inn?_franchisee=BOSNT), which is at 399
Grove Street, right near Allaire.  They are reachable at 617-969-5300.  I
haven't stayed there myself, but they seem like a standard
middle-of-the-road hotel.  Rates are from $130 to $180 for two people in a
room.

There is also the Newton Marriott
(http://www.marriotthotels.com/dpp/PropertyPage.asp?MarshaCode=BOSNT) which
is about a mile away.  Nicer place, but more expensive.

GETTING TO ALLAIRE/HOTELS:

We are at 275 Grove Street, right off of Rt 95/128.  Mapquest has us at
http://www.mapquest.com/cgi-bin/ia_find?link=btwn%2Ftwn-map_results&random=8
7&event=find_search&uid=ud8ecbz4c7s4tdid%3A8g14b2uyt&SNVData=&address=275+Gr
ove+Street&city=Newton&State=MA&Zip=&Find+Map.x=22&Find+Map.y=8.