Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Ben Schonle <be...@amigos24.net> on 2008/03/07 18:47:15 UTC

Problem: Cannot find repository from remote

Problem: Cannot find repository when connecting remotely

Hello,

I have managed to setup a repository (on ubuntu server), import, update
and checkout locally.

However, if I try to connect to the svn remotely via putty from a
windows machine / or via terminal from another ubuntu machine I get the
error:

"No repository found in svn://192.168.0.38/svn/myproject "
<svn://192.168.0.38/svn/myproject>

What I tried to connect:
1) connect with putty to the computer where the repository lies

2) Entering:

$ svn co svn://192.168.0.38/svn/myproject targetfolder --username ben

OR

$ svn co svn://localhost/svn/myproject targetfolder --username ben3

3) Error: $ svn co svn://192.168.0.38/svn/myproject targetfolder
--username ben

(Locally this is working "$ svn checkout file:///home/svn/myproject
targetfolder " )

=======================================
What is the correct syntax for connecting remotely to a svn?

Re: Problem: Cannot find repository from remote

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Mar 7, 2008, at 21:36, ben@amigos24.net wrote:

> Ryan wrote:
>
>> Use the svn command in the DOS command prompt on the Windows
>> machine to do the checkout. Or use TortoiseSVN as you've already
>> done.
>

> I am a rookie on Linux on svn in particular. Thus my question, what
> would be that command, considering:
> - the \ in Windows.
> - the fact that svn needs to know where the repository is
> - 192.168.0.35 is the IP of the local machine, to which I want to
> checkout and "workingcopy" the folder to which checkout
> - 192.168.0.38 the IP of the machine containing the repository in
> home/svn/myproject
>

> 1) Assuming I use windows commandline: I move to the folder of the
> working copy:
>
> ------------------------------
> "cd workingcopy"
> ------------------------------
>

> 2) I connect to the SVN on the remote machine
>
> ------------------------------
>
> svn co svn+ssh://ben3@192.168.0.38/home/svn/myproject
> ------------------------------
>
> It asks for authetication, I enter the credentials.
>

> 3) I run the svn command being already in the folder "workingcopy":

> --------
> "svn checkout svn+ssh://ben3@192.168.0.35"
> --------
>
> 4) It now should ask me for the credentials and checkout to that
> folder
>

> Would be nice, if someone could validate the steps and commands of
> how to connect remotely to the svn and of how to checkout to the
> local windows machine.

See the output of "svn help checkout" which will tell you that the
usage is "checkout URL[@REV]... [PATH]"

In other words, if you want a working copy of svn+ssh://
ben3@192.168.0.38/home/svn/myproject checked out into path\to
\workingcopy, you would run

svn checkout svn+ssh://ben3@192.168.0.38/home/svn/myproject path\to
\workingcopy

on the machine where you want path\to\workingcopy to be created (i.e.
in the DOS command prompt window on the Windows machine whose IP
address is 192.168.0.35).

Re: Problem: Cannot find repository from remote

Posted by "ben@amigos24.net" <be...@amigos24.net>.
Hi

[...]

Thx,
Ben

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Posted by Ben Schonle <be...@amigos24.net>.
A short update:
-------------------

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Mar 7, 2008, at 12:47, Ben Schonle wrote:

> I have managed to setup a repository (on ubuntu server), import,
> update and checkout locally.
>
> However, if I try to connect to the svn remotely via putty from a
> windows machine / or via terminal from another ubuntu machine I get
> the error:
>
> "No repository found in svn://192.168.0.38/svn/myproject " <svn://
> 192.168.0.38/svn/myproject>

[snip]