Posted to dev@whimsical.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2017/06/22 22:53:22 UTC

Help testing new LDAP settings for PMCs

The Whimsy PMC would be very grateful  if some volunteers from the
JMeter PMC could help with testing a new setup for LDAP groups.

This would involve some short tests to check if access for commit and
lists.apache.org still works OK.

The current plan is to test the change on Tuesday.

We need to test the following combinations:

PMC member + ASF member
=======================
(I can do that, but others are welcome to help)

PMC member but not ASF member, i.e.
==============================
Antonio Gomes Rodrigues
Philippe Mouawad
Peter Lin

For this group, we need to test access to the private@jmeter mailing
list via lists.apache.org.

Can one or more of you confirm whether you have access currently?
i.e. can you access
https://lists.apache.org/list.html?private@jmeter.apache.org
If you don't log in, you should get an error message.

But if you do login (using your normal LDAP password, as used for SVN)
you should be able to see the list.

When the changes have been made, we need to see if you can still
access the private list.

Also, can you access the PMC-private SVN area:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/private/pmc/jmeter/

Committer but not ASF member, i.e.
===========================
Mikhail Epikhin
Maxime Chassagneux
Deepak Shetty
Andrey Pokhilko
Vladimir Sitnikov

For the last group, it would be helpful if someone could join Sam Ruby
on a HipChat channel on Tuesday (US time, so afternoon or evening for
people closer to Europe).

I'm not sure if all of you have updated any files in SVN yet.
Ideally we need to know if you can do so before any changes are made.
If you want to try out SVN, there is a test tree here:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jmeter/test

-------------------------------

What is being changed?
==================
Currently, access to PMC resources is controlled using two separate
LDAP groups - one for PMC members and one for committers. Each has a
single list of members.

The proposed arrangement is to use a single LDAP group.
This has a list of members who are the committers, and a list of
owners who are the PMC members.

This change obviously affects the processes that grant access based on
the LDAP groups to which an id belongs, so we need to test that things
still work when LDAP is updated.

Re: Help testing new LDAP settings for PMCs

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
I've made the change.  Please either respond here or ping me on
hipchat if you spot any problems.

- Sam Ruby

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.