Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Myrna van Lunteren <m....@gmail.com> on 2009/03/19 00:43:08 UTC

10.5 release work...translated doc question

Hi

I had hoped to have a test build and release notes ready before now
but ran into some snags.
I think I've worked through them, and plan on generating a test build
tomorrow, but I have a question regarding the translated
documentation.

I believe the brazilian and japanese documentation is out of date.

Should we simply not build these? Not include them in the src? Remove
them from the branch until updated items can be put on trunk and then
backported?

Myrna

Re: 10.5 release work...translated doc question

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Myrna,

Some comments inline...

Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
> Hi
>
> I had hoped to have a test build and release notes ready before now
> but ran into some snags.
> I think I've worked through them, and plan on generating a test build
> tomorrow, but I have a question regarding the translated
> documentation.
>
> I believe the brazilian and japanese documentation is out of date.

I think these have been out of date for some time. Looking at the pdf
versions of the Brazilian translation included with our 10.4.2.0 bin
distribution, I see the following:

- The Getting Started Guide says that it is at version level 10.2
- The Reference Guide says that it is at version level 10--I don't know
what that means

> Should we simply not build these? Not include them in the src? Remove
> them from the branch until updated items can be put on trunk and then
> backported?

I don't see a problem with building these translations as long as they
don't claim that they are at version level 10.5. I think that the 10.2
versions of these translations are better than nothing. The Brazilian
Reference Guide should probably state that it is at 10.2 or 10.3 or
10.4, rather than at 10.5. In any event, I would not remove these
translations from the source repository.

My $.02,
-Rick