Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Eric Evans <ee...@rackspace.com> on 2009/11/20 02:59:39 UTC

[VOTE] Release 0.5.0-beta1

We've just about worked our way through the list of 0.5.0 blockers and
it would be great to get some of this new hotness into the hands of our
users, so...

I propose the following tag and artifacts for 0.5.0-beta1

SVN Tag:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/cassandra/tags/cassandra-0.5.0-beta1
0.5.0-beta1 artifacts: http://people.apache.org/~eevans

[1]
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/cassandra/tags/cassandra-0.5.0-beta1/CHANGES.txt

--
Eric Evans
eevans@rackspace.com

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.5.0-beta1

Posted by Chris Goffinet <cg...@chrisgoffinet.com>.
+1 lets get a beta out, we can always merge in #193, but I do agree we need
a lot of testing for 193 ;-)

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.5.0-beta1

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.

RE: [VOTE] Release 0.5.0-beta1

Posted by Stu Hood <st...@rackspace.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.5.0-beta1

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@almaden.ibm.com>.
+1 on release 0.5 beta. It's going to take a while before #193 is fully
tested and stabilized. We don't have to rush it in.

Jun
IBM Almaden Research Center
K55/B1, 650 Harry Road, San Jose, CA  95120-6099

junrao@almaden.ibm.com

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.5.0-beta1

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 5:59 PM, Eric Evans <ee...@rackspace.com> wrote:

> We've just about worked our way through the list of 0.5.0 blockers and
> it would be great to get some of this new hotness into the hands of our
> users, so...
>
> I propose the following tag and artifacts for 0.5.0-beta1
>
> SVN Tag:
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/cassandra/tags/cassandra-0.5.0-beta1
> 0.5.0-beta1 artifacts: http://people.apache.org/~eevans<http://people.apache.org/%7Eeevans>

+1

Matthieu

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.5.0-beta1

Posted by Ray Slakinski <ra...@mahalo.com>.
+1 from me as well, we've been pretty happy with how 0.5 has been coming
together.

Ray Slakinski

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.5.0-beta1

Posted by Gary Dusbabek <gd...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 18:59, Eric Evans <ee...@rackspace.com> wrote:
> I propose the following tag and artifacts for 0.5.0-beta1
>
> SVN Tag:
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/cassandra/tags/cassandra-0.5.0-beta1
> 0.5.0-beta1 artifacts: http://people.apache.org/~eevans
>
> --
> Eric Evans
> eevans@rackspace.com

+1 on beta.

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.5.0-beta1

Posted by Eric Evans <ee...@rackspace.com>.
On Thu, 2009-11-19 at 19:59 -0600, Eric Evans wrote:
> We've just about worked our way through the list of 0.5.0 blockers and
> it would be great to get some of this new hotness into the hands of our
> users, so...
>
> I propose the following tag and artifacts for 0.5.0-beta1
>
> SVN Tag:
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/cassandra/tags/cassandra-0.5.0-beta1
> 0.5.0-beta1 artifacts: http://people.apache.org/~eevans
>
> [1]
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/cassandra/tags/cassandra-0.5.0-beta1/CHANGES.txt

+1 :)

--
Eric Evans
eevans@rackspace.com

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.5.0-beta1

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.
+1 on releasing a beta.

Things can always be improved, and IMO it's time to get more people
testing / benchmarking the 0.5 codebase, which even where it is still
rough is much better than 0.4.

-Jonathan

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.5.0-beta1

Posted by Eric Evans <ee...@rackspace.com>.
On Mon, 2009-11-23 at 22:45 +0900, Jaakko wrote:
> > We can still incorporate changes before the final release, I
> wouldn't
> > consider this a hard-freeze yet (in fact, you'll notice that I
> tagged
> > from trunk; no 0.5 branch has been created yet).
>
> Well, now it is Monday :-) I think if we can include #575 (or similar
> fix), bootstrapping should be OK for beta, so +1 from me too :-)

The way a release works for incubator projects is that we first vote
amongst ourselves, and then turn it over to a vote on the IPMC list
(which lasts a minimum of 72 hours). So, incorporating #575 into beta1
would be mean resetting the time-line.

We'll get this fix into the next beta which should will be along Real
Soon Now.

--
Eric Evans
eevans@rackspace.com

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.5.0-beta1

Posted by Jaakko <ro...@gmail.com>.
>> I'd propose to wait for a short while (until Monday or so). I think
>> there are some issues with bootstrapping (discussed with Jonathan
>> yesterday) and some of the things in CHANGES.txt are currently not
>> true. I'm working on bootstrap/move issues currently, so I'd propose
>> to wait to fix most obvious of them before giving trunk any "official"
>> beta status.
>
> We can still incorporate changes before the final release, I wouldn't
> consider this a hard-freeze yet (in fact, you'll notice that I tagged
> from trunk; no 0.5 branch has been created yet).

Well, now it is Monday :-) I think if we can include #575 (or similar
fix), bootstrapping should be OK for beta, so +1 from me too :-)

>> Also, it would be nice to have proactive repair in as well.
>
> I agree, but there are always items like this. I'd personally rather err
> on the side of Release Early, Release Often, then to get caught up
> hanging on a bit more for the Next Cool Thing.

That is of course true. I was thinking if it is close enough, we might
as well wait for one or two days, but it would now seem that there is
still some work to do.

-Jaakko

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.5.0-beta1

Posted by Eric Evans <ee...@rackspace.com>.