Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by pof <Me...@gmail.com> on 2009/06/09 01:44:22 UTC

Re: How to distribute lucene using rsync

Is their a way to address this without Solr? I was looking at Solr today and
it looks like a lot of piss-farting around just to backup an index. I also
found their explaination on
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/CollectionDistribution poorly explained, so I am
a bit confused with the whole process.

Posted by Ian Lea <ia...@gmail.com>.
Unless you optimize it or are doing weird things with merge factors
you won't get completely new files every time you update an index.
Some files will change, or be created, or deleted, and some won't.
Then you can just copy them wherever you want using rsync or whatever
you like.  We use rsync, mainly on non compound indexes although also
on compound, and it works well.

$ rsync -av --delete /local/index/dir-or-tree desthost::lucene

--
Ian.

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
Note that when using rsync, you must first close the IndexWriter, else
the copy can be corrupt.

If having to close IndexWriter (and stop indexing) is a hassle, then
you should use SnapshotDeletionPolicy; it was created exactly for this
reason (to take a backup of the index even while further indexing is
proceeding).

Mike