Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Samuel Abdullah <sa...@silverliningsys.com> on 2020/03/23 10:12:17 UTC

DAAS Service using Guacamole

Hi all,

May i know if there is any way that i can use guacamole as part of a
desktop as a service?
Does Guacamole has a component and functionality where it could run / fire
up a new VM inside our hypervisor?

Understand that Guacamole is just a gateway however can we add any custom
script into the server in order to instruct it to create a new VM in our
environment?

Best Regards
Samuel

--

<https://www.silverliningsys.com/>

www.silverliningsys.com

*Abu Bakar Samuel Abdullah*

Cloud Infrastructure & Operations

P: +603-2712-0081

M: +60.12.654.5938

E: samuel@silverliningsys.com

AW: DAAS Service using Guacamole

Posted by Joachim Lindenberg <jo...@lindenberg.one>.
Hi Samuel,

you didn´t mention openstack but a hypervisor. The specific hypervisor I am using is Hyper-V, but I´d assume it can be done with any. Technically I am using Guacamole on a linux virtual machine with docker, and that virtual machine runs by accident on the same Hyper-V then the virtual machines created by my backup, but this is not a requirement (though ignoring certificates might not be adequate if the hosts differ). The extension running with Guacamole essentially delegates authentication and authorization to the backup service called as a kind of REST-service, as the backup service at already interfaces with Hyper-V. It also monitors VM usage in order to allow to save (Hyper-V specific, could also deallocate) unused virtual machines, though in the mean time I figured out how to monitor port 2179 directly. As Java is poor w.r.t. calling native code, you probably want to stick to that pattern, especially as running that on a nearby container or on the hypervisor host itself is practical. One plus of this setup is that I don´t need a database for Guacamole as all information is provided remotely.

If you are interested in my help, I suggest to continue peer-to-peer. Obviously you need to detail some specifics…

Best Regards, Joachim

Posted by Samuel Abdullah <sa...@silverliningsys.com>.
Hi Joachim,