Posted to user@flume.apache.org by Christopher Shannon <cs...@gmail.com> on 2014/07/29 19:15:18 UTC

Performance on Widows vs *NIX

For development and testing, I sometimes have to run multiple agents on the
same server / workstation. Recently I had to load test a second agent in a
Windows environment with a near identical configuration (except for paths
and more memory allocated to the JVM), but the agent in the second JVM soon
ground to a halt whereas the first JVM with less memory worked without
slowdown.

The total physicsl memory on the machine is 32 gb, and the total physical
RAM used never exceds 14GB. Disk space is plentiful. Agent A (started
first) has a max JVM heap space of 4 gb, the second JVM (Agent B) has 8 gb
allocated. Both use a spooling file source, a memory channel, and an Avro
sink.

Yet agent B is the one that slows down and evetually hangs. I have stood up
multiple Flume agents on Linux without this problem.

What could account for the degrading performance in a Windows environment
for the second agent but not the first?

All the best, Chris

p.s. The agent version is 1.3.0, and I can't change it for contractual
reasons.

Re: Performance on Widows vs *NIX

Posted by Christopher Shannon <cs...@gmail.com>.
Roshan, Hari,

This explains a lot of the problems we have been experiencing.

Thank you very much!

All the best,

Chris Shannon.

Posted by Hari Shreedharan <hs...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Christopher Shannon <cs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Roshan Naik <ro...@hortonworks.com>.

On Sat, Aug 2, 2014 at 6:19 AM, Christopher Shannon <cs...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I do want to add that the Windows agents in our configuration were
> upstream from the agent using the HDFS sink, and the upstream agents would
> not recover gracefully when the downstream agent disconnected them on
> encountering an out of memory error.
>

> On Sat, Aug 2, 2014 at 8:18 AM, Christopher Shannon <cshannon108@gmail.com
> > wrote:
>
>> Roshan,
>>
>> After more testing, it became plain that the Windows environment was not
>> the problem. The simultaneous JVMs were behaving well in the Windows
>> environment. There does appear to be a documented memory leak problem with
>> the HDFS sink for version 1.3.0. Our distro comes from IBM BigInsights, and
>> yes, there do appear to be some differences between some dependencies from
>> the open source and what comes with the IBM distro. So we are looking into
>> working with them to fix the problem.
>>
>> In the meantime, if you can think of any threads on the list pointing to
>> HDFS sink and out of memory errors, I would be grateful if some can be sent
>> my way.
>>
>> All the best,
>>
>> Chris.
>>

>> On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 6:50 PM, Roshan Naik <ro...@hortonworks.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Is that a custom Flume build or from some distro ? Hard to say without
>>> additional info. anything interesting in  the logs when it crashes ?

>>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Performance on Widows vs *NIX

Posted by Christopher Shannon <cs...@gmail.com>.