Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Clay McCall <mc...@gmail.com> on 2016/06/03 14:07:01 UTC

Referencing a cell from previous worksheet in same spreadsheet file...

I am trying to carry over a =sum() value from a cell in one spreadsheet to another cell in another sheet in the same spreadsheet file.  The instructions in the help section “Referencing a Cell in the Same Document” says that the formula is =sheet2.A1,  I have discovered that if you rename the sheets then this does not work.  Why can I not reference a sheet by another name?

Thanks for any assist,

R/
Clay McCall

Re: Referencing a cell from previous worksheet in same spreadsheet file...

Posted by "Girvin R. Herr" <gh...@sbcglobal.net>.
Clay,

I use renamed sheets and it works for me, but be absolutely sure there
is no space to the left of the "=" in the expression.  I spent a lot of
time troubleshooting this before I realized I had a space before the =.
The symptom is that the cell displays the expression (text), not the
data from the referenced cell.  Also, I am not sure it is required, but
I make sure the referencing cell has the correct type for the referenced
data: number, currency, text, etc.

HTH
Girvin Herr

Posted by Jim McLaughlin <jj...@gmail.com>.
That will not work, but only for 1 value in the origin cell on sheet 1.

If the origin cell on sheet 1 undergoes a  value change, that  change will
not carry over to the target cell on sheet 2.

So if sheet 1's origin cell is dynamic, and its value is changed, by, say,
adding another number in to the origin cell [remember, the OP was using the
formula =SUM(:) in the origin cell on sheet 1] one needs o utilize the LINK
function in the "Paste Special"pop up / drop down screen.

Posted by Steve Ahlers <sa...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Jim McLaughlin <jj...@gmail.com>.
try this: