Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Nick Boldt <co...@ca.ibm.com> on 2004/10/21 00:26:59 UTC

re: proposed addendum to the Ant Exec Task Manual entry

On http://ant.apache.org/manual/CoreTasks/exec.html there is listed a Red
Hat S/390 Users fix for when you see:

   [exec] Warning: UNIXProcess.forkAndExec native error: Exec format error
   [exec] Result: 255

My observation is that this fix applies to not just S/390, but to the wider
audience of those using the IBM JDK (and not the Sun JDK, which doesn't
care if your shell scripts have an interpreter speficied on line 1).

I was running a build using the Sun JDK 1.4.2_03 on debian, and switched to
IBM JDK 1.4.2sr1 and encountered this - ahem - forking error. The suggested
fix - namely to add a #!/bin/bash or #!/bin/sh interpreter line to the head
of the .sh script being exec'd - worked to solve the problem and the build
continued as it had been before w/ the less restrictive / more forgiving
Sun JDK.

Since this fix, as stated in your manual, is not immediately obvious as
being a solution (for those who can't make the leap that S/390 = IBM JDK),
I just thought I'd point out that you can - if you'd like - add this extra
bit of help to your manual.

Thanks,

Nick Boldt :: Programmer-Polyglot
Eclipse EMF/SDO/XSD
Websphere Studio Development, Toronto Lab
8200 Warden Ave., Markham, Ontario, L6G 1C7.
http://eclipse.org/emf && http://eclipse.org/xsd