Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by Nuwan Bandara <nu...@wso2.com> on 2009/09/27 18:38:58 UTC

Like to contribute

Hello,

I would like to contribute to shindig development and for its growth.

--
Thanks & Regards
/Nuwan Bandara

RE: Reverse proxy and URL gadgets

Posted by "Weygandt, Jon" <jw...@ebay.com>.
Bullet point #6c of section 3.1.3 - Compliance: Gadget Server - Process;
of the Gadgets API Specifiction describes one method:
http://www.opensocial.org/Technical-Resources/opensocial-spec-v09/Gadget
s-API-Specification.html#process
iGoogle originally implemented this.

Posted by Kevin Brown <et...@google.com>.

Posted by "Weygandt, Jon" <jw...@ebay.com>.
For the basics of the rendering parameters...

For the request parameters, are you talking about what is in bullet item
6?
http://www.opensocial.org/Technical-Resources/opensocial-spec-v09/Gadget
s-API-Specification.html#rfc.section.3.1

The ones we found missing for URL developer consumption, but were
already part of Shindig's iframe url, were: view, view-params.

We also added one additional parameters for developers: env - to let
them know what environment they are running in, e.g. production, sandbox
and dev.

For our use (not gadget developers use) we need: parent, rpctoken

We do security in our own way, since we are integrating to legacy
applications. Our security token is very long, so the resultant request
must be done by a POST, as the URL exceeds IE's limit of 2000 rather
quickly. It is through the security tokens that the developer gets the
equivalent of viewer. Plus our tokens are time stamped so caching is not
an issue for us. makeRequest documents signing by Oauth, which might be
more applicable.

For the JS libraries...

In order to make use of as much of the JS functions as possible, you
need things like hangman substituted messages and preloads. These are
very dependent upon what the users specific parameters were, and make
Facebook's approach with static JS less desirable. And the "libs"
approach of iGoogle require a more stateful server (a problem with a
cluster of machines). So once we went with the POST the limit on
parameter size was lifted. We put everything needed into a single "is"
parameter. It includes <script src=...> tags, it includes the call to
gadgets.config, plus a bit more.  Plus this parameter is signed to
ensure it is not tampered with. Once we did this, large pieces of the
core JS API works.

The other item is that gadgets core, and rpc use document.location. For
obvious things like prefs, but also for rpctoken and parent. This is OK
for the very first render, but most URL developers will have multiple
pages. For this the "is" parameter includes a "fake url" that can be
parsed inside of the gadgets API to get the info, simply replaced
document.location with "gadgets_location_href_override ||
document.location.href;"

For a limited JS functionality...

If all we want is basic rpc/pubsub, static JS includes would be fine.
This may be a good starting point for a standard implementation. The
goals would be to ensure security and portability (if possible)
Security - at least today, the gadget developer needs to run (and trust)
JS code from the gadget server.
Portability - can we create a method that will let developers run on
multiple sites, hopefully w/o a whitelist of trusted sites?

Posted by sa...@wipro.com.

Re: Like to contribute

Posted by Chris Chabot <ch...@google.com>.
Hey Nuwan,

I'm not sure what to say other then "great! go for it!"

You can find the details on our svn repo, and of our bug tracking system
where you can create issues & attach our patches too at
http://incubator.apache.org/shindig/ & if there's anything we can do to help
with, please feel free to post your questions to the shindig-dev list.