Posted to log4cxx-user@logging.apache.org by supervixen <sy...@gmail.com> on 2007/07/25 15:42:14 UTC

Why, is it impossible to build log4cxx on Solaris 10 ??

Hi,
I've been desperately trying to build log4cxx (0.9.7) to Solaris sparc and
it's been a painful week even trying to build it,
So here's my problem :
I'm using Sun C++  5.9 SunOS_sparc compiler on Solaris 10
and the i have installed the autotools
-autoconf 2.60
-automake 1.10
-libtool 1.5
-m4 1.4.2
( downloaded from sunfreeware as solaris packages)

QUESTION1 : Have I installed the right versions (of the autotools) ? Is
there a compatibility issue that I am not aware of ?

When I run 'autogen.sh', aclocal fails and generates the following output:
NONE:0: /usr/local/bin/m4: '__program__' from frozen file not found in
builtin table!
autom4te: /usr/local/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 1
aclocal: autom4te failed with exit status: 1

QUESTION2:What does this mean? Why does it fail (aclocal)?

QUESTION3 Has anyone ever built/tested log4cxx with Sun C++ compiler, and if
anyone has, can he/she be so kind to describe it step by step (i'm clueless
)  or better than that, could anyone just zip and email me the binaries?
indeed, my project can´t wait any more to have this log library running!

Thanks a lot , in advance
and please help!

Deniz

Deniz Cakirkaya.

Re: Why, is it impossible to build log4cxx on Solaris 10 ??

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.
On Jul 25, 2007, at 8:42 AM, supervixen wrote:

> Hi,
> I've been desperately trying to build log4cxx (0.9.7) to Solaris
> sparc and it's been a painful week even trying to build it,
> So here's my problem :
> I'm using Sun C++  5.9 SunOS_sparc compiler on Solaris 10
> and the i have installed the autotools
> -autoconf 2.60
> -automake 1.10
> -libtool 1.5
> -m4 1.4.2
> ( downloaded from sunfreeware as solaris packages)
>
> QUESTION1 : Have I installed the right versions (of the
> autotools) ? Is there a compatibility issue that I am not aware of ?
>
> When I run 'autogen.sh', aclocal fails and generates the following
> output:
> NONE:0: /usr/local/bin/m4: '__program__' from frozen file not found
> in builtin table!
> autom4te: /usr/local/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 1
> aclocal: autom4te failed with exit status: 1
>
> QUESTION2:What does this mean? Why does it fail (aclocal)?
>
> QUESTION3 Has anyone ever built/tested log4cxx with Sun C++
> compiler, and if anyone has, can he/she be so kind to describe it
> step by step (i'm clueless )  or better than that, could anyone
> just zip and email me the binaries?
> indeed, my project can´t wait any more to have this log library
> running!
>

> Thanks a lot , in advance
> and please help!
>

> Deniz

I strongly discourage use of log4cxx 0.9.7 and can provide no support
for it.  It predates the move to ASF and has many, many bugs that
have been fixed in the SVN.  Unfortunately, it has been a very, very
long time without an official ASF release to replace it.  We are
making moves to getting all the things in place for an ASF release in
place.

At the moment (since yesterday), the SVN HEAD's automake build has
been broken due to directory moves in preparation for a release.
Hopefully, that will be restored shortly.  You should be able to use
the Ant build on Solaris with the SVN head or you can just grab
revision 559190 (uses apr 1.2.9 and apr-util 1.2.8) or 559189 (uses
versions 1.2.7 of both).  I believe both build on Solaris with the
Sun compilers using either the Ant or automake build.

Re: Why, is it impossible to build log4cxx on Solaris 10 ??

Posted by Bob Rossi <bo...@cox.net>.
On Wed, Jul 25, 2007 at 04:42:14PM +0300, supervixen wrote:
> Hi,
> I've been desperately trying to build log4cxx (0.9.7) to Solaris sparc and
> it's been a painful week even trying to build it,

I would try using svn.

Bob Rossi

Re: Why, is it impossible to build log4cxx on Solaris 10 ??

Posted by re...@rubixinfotech.com.
done - I will sent direct email with location

Renny Koshy
President & CEO

RUBIX Information Technologies, Inc.
www.rubixinfotech.com

supervixen <sy...@gmail.com>
07/26/2007 02:16 AM
Please respond to
"Log4CXX User" <lo...@logging.apache.org>

"Log4CXX User" <lo...@logging.apache.org>
cc

Subject
Re: Why, is it impossible to build log4cxx on Solaris 10 ??

Hello - again,
I know that log4cxx-0.9.7 is significantly out of date, but I just
have to use it because I have been tasked to adapt an already existing
and tested Debug-Log framework ( based on DDS & and log4cxx-0.9.7,
Linux platform) to Solaris 10. It seemed that i had no choice but to
get this 0.9.7 version running. Or do I ? I find it too risky to try
something new, especially when I am so out of time to try it..

On 7/25/07, Bob Rossi <bo...@cox.net> wrote:
> I would try using svn.

And Renny,
How do you just run configure then make ? do you already have a
Makefile.in? I run configure and all i get is a message that no
Makefile.in is found.(thus I have to run the autogen.sh which in turn
invokes automake to build a Makefile.in ... or am I missing something
here?)

On 7/25/07, renny.koshy@rubixinfotech.com <re...@rubixinfotech.com>
wrote:

> I have not tried to autogen it... I've just ran configure & then make,
> and it seems to work fine for me... been using it since 2005.

Would you please do that ? I am very lost.

Posted by supervixen <sy...@gmail.com>.
Hello - again,

supervixen <sy...@gmail.com> wrote on 07/25/2007 09:42:14 AM:

> Hi,
> I've been desperately trying to build log4cxx (0.9.7) to Solaris
> sparc and it's been a painful week even trying to build it,
> So here's my problem :
> I'm using Sun C++  5.9 SunOS_sparc compiler on Solaris 10
> and the i have installed the autotools
> -autoconf 2.60
> -automake 1.10
> -libtool 1.5
> -m4 1.4.2
> ( downloaded from sunfreeware as solaris packages)

I have not tried to autogen it... I've just ran configure & then make,
and it seems to work fine for me... been using it since 2005.

> QUESTION1 : Have I installed the right versions (of the autotools) ?
> Is there a compatibility issue that I am not aware of ?

Not sure

> QUESTION3 Has anyone ever built/tested log4cxx with Sun C++
> compiler, and if anyone has, can he/she be so kind to describe it
> step by step (i'm clueless )  or better than that, could anyone just
> zip and email me the binaries?
> indeed, my project can´t wait any more to have this log library running!

Yes, I downloaded the tar file, did a configure, then make... Works like a

charm.  If you want me to tar up the directory and make it avial, I can do
that.

There is one change in our lib which saves and restores the TZ variable,
as
0.9.7 seems to obliterate that env. var.