Posted to dev@trafodion.apache.org by "Liu, Ming (Ming)" <mi...@esgyn.cn> on 2016/10/27 14:41:19 UTC

Is it good idea to add VARCHAR2 as an alias for VARCHAR?

Hi, all,

As fa as I know, today, Oracle users use VARCHAR2 heavily, it seems VARCHAR is not  ever used in Oracle DDL. So there is a task to rewrite Oracle DDL to replace VARCHAR2 into VARCHAR when migrating from Oracle to Trafodion. So I feel Oracle users will be happy to have VARCHAR2 supported in Trafodion if we can.

IMHO, it will be very simple to add VARCHAR2 keyword as an alias for VARCHAR, the effort seems minimal. So I want to ask the community about more input, is there any considerations that I overlook , that, this alias will bring some issues?

Some users I talked show the desire that Trafodion should support more Oracle syntax, because it helps adoption, people are used to one of the major RDMBS already, so happy to see something familiar.

I would like to see if community has desire to support some popular Oracle syntax/functions in Trafodion? And I am happy to get more ideas about Trafodion to be more easy to play with.

Thanks,
Ming

RE: Is it good idea to add VARCHAR2 as an alias for VARCHAR?

Posted by Rohit Jain <ro...@esgyn.com>.
But is it supported with the semantics that Ravisha identified or we just make it a varchar where the semantics are in fact not the same as they are in Oracle?

Posted by "Liu, Ming (Ming)" <mi...@esgyn.cn>.
Agree with Hans, I am satisfied with current implementation in Trafodion.

Ming

Posted by "Liu, Ming (Ming)" <mi...@esgyn.cn>.
Thanks Ravisha and Anoop,

Posted by Anoop Sharma <an...@esgyn.com>.
varchar2 as a datatype in create stmts is supported in trafodion.

Apache Trafodion Conversational Interface 2.1.0
Copyright (c) 2015-2016 Apache Software Foundation
>>create table tvc2 (a varchar2(10));

--- SQL operation complete.

Posted by Eric Owhadi <er...@esgyn.com>.
+1 on this,