Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Prathip Asaithambi <pr...@sasken.com> on 2009/10/27 08:37:54 UTC

Migrating IBM Cloudscape to Version 10 - Issue

Hi,

   I have a application using Cloudscape database(version5.6).The Cloudscape Database size is 73.1 Giga bytes.After migrating the database from Cloudscape to derby(Cloudscape10.0) i have noticed the following

 1. The migrate derby Database size is reduced to 50.1 Giga bytes(which was 73.1GB with cloudscape)
 2. My Application become dead slow at the DB interaction layer

I have used IBM's migratetoderby.jar for my migration. Could anyone help me out what went wrong during migration

1. Why the Database size was reduced ?
2. Whether there is any upper limits during migration process?
3. Why Application get slowdown during Database interaction layer?which was good before migration

Please help me out by providing you inputs

Thanks & Regads,
A.Prathip

SASKEN BUSINESS DISCLAIMER
-------------------------
This message may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. In
case you are not the original intended Recipient of the message, you must not, directly or
indirectly, use, Disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message and you are
requested to delete it and inform the sender. Any views expressed in this message are
those of the individual sender unless otherwise stated. Nothing contained in this message
shall be construed as an offer or acceptance of any offer by Sasken Communication
Technologies Limited ("Sasken") unless sent with that express intent and with due
authority of Sasken. Sasken has taken enough precautions to prevent the spread of
viruses. However the company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus
transmitted by this email

Re: Migrating IBM Cloudscape to Version 10 - Issue

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.
Bryan Pendleton wrote:

> I agree with Kristian; it sounds like you may have lost some indexes.
>
> Accidentally losing some important indexes during the migration would
> make your database smaller and slower.
>
> Perhaps run 'dblook' against the new database, and verify the physical
> schema against the physical schema of the old database (was there a
> version
> of dblook for Cloudscape? probably. So maybe you can run dblook against
> both and diff the output.)

As I recall the tool will stop and fail to continue if it encounters a
compatibility issue that it cannot resolve, but I think it spits out an
error before stopping.   It's been a long time so I don't remember all
the details.

Also,  after converting I suggest you upgrade to 10.5 to take advantage
of performance and other fixes and get onto an official Apache release.

Thanks

Kathey

Re: Migrating IBM Cloudscape to Version 10 - Issue

Posted by Bryan Pendleton <bp...@amberpoint.com>.
>  1. The migrate derby Database size is reduced to 50.1 Giga bytes(which
> was 73.1GB with cloudscape)
>  2. My Application become dead slow at the DB interaction layer

I agree with Kristian; it sounds like you may have lost some indexes.

Accidentally losing some important indexes during the migration would
make your database smaller and slower.

Perhaps run 'dblook' against the new database, and verify the physical
schema against the physical schema of the old database (was there a version
of dblook for Cloudscape? probably. So maybe you can run dblook against
both and diff the output.)

thanks,

bryan

Re: Migrating IBM Cloudscape to Version 10 - Issue

Posted by Kristian Waagan <Kr...@Sun.COM>.
Prathip Asaithambi wrote:

> Hi,
>
>    I have a application using Cloudscape database(version5.6).The
> Cloudscape Database size is 73.1 Giga bytes.After migrating the
> database from Cloudscape to derby(Cloudscape10.0) i have noticed the
> following
>
>  1. The migrate derby Database size is reduced to 50.1 Giga
> bytes(which was 73.1GB with cloudscape)
>  2. My Application become dead slow at the DB interaction layer

Hello Prathip,

I have no experience migrating from Cloudscape to Derby, but a few
questions pop up in my mind:
 - Has the size been reduced because the migrated tables have been
compressed / recreated?
 - Have you verified that all the previously existing indexes are in
place in the new db?
 - When migrating, where the indexes created before or after the tables
were populated?

Regarding the performance drop you have seen, it's hard to say what's
going on with the current information. Two suspects are missing indexes
or outdated index statistics. More information about what kind of
queries / operations have become slow may also be of help.

Can you also tell us which version of Derby and Java you are using?

Kristian