Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by ya...@bloglines.com on 2004/07/07 20:27:14 UTC

Searching for asterisk in a term

Hi,

I'm trying to search for a term that contains an asterisk.

This
is the field that I indexed:
- new Field("testField", "Hello *foo bar", true,
true, true);

I'm trying to find this document by matching '*foo':
- new
TermQuery(new Term("testField", "*me"));

I've also tried to escape the
* like this:
- new TermQuery(new Term("testField", "\\*me"));

Neither
of these queries return this document.  Is this type of search possible with
Lucene?

Thanks.

Re: Searching for asterisk in a term

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
The first thing you'll want to check is that you are using an Analyzer
that does not discard that '*' before indexing.  StandardAnalyzer, for
instance, will discard it.  Check one of Erik Hatcher's articles that
includes a tool that helps you see what your Analyzer does with the any
given text input.  You can also use Luke to see what your index
contains.

Otis