Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com> on 2005/06/24 00:29:02 UTC

Cluster and future developments/techniques

Hi

There are various things which currently prevent that Lenya can be
clustered.

That's just how it is and I don't want to complain about it, but make sure
that we are able to solve them.

But I think future development/techniques should take into account of
the fact that Lenya is clusterable and depending on that should be
allowed within the core or not.

I know it might sound a bit restrivtive, but this seems to me a very
important
issue re the future development of Lenya. In the case of httpd one might
call it "defensive programming" and even if this term might not fit a
100% for Lenya within a cluster I think we can still learn a lot from it
and should make sure that this is
one of the top priorities.

WDYT?

Michi

--
Michael Wechner

Re: Cluster and future developments/techniques

Posted by Torsten Schlabach <ts...@apache.org>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:

> We need a centralized, remotely accessible content repository.
> I'm not sure if JCR is able to do that, if not we can maybe add
> a remote access layer above it.

+1

AFAIK there have been some attempts in the Jackrabbit community to provide
remote access. But I think we should do some proper research and come up
with a good reasoning what to layer on top of what.

In my understanding, JCR is an API in the first place, not a network
protocol. In fact I kept asking myself what the differences between a
remote filesystem (mounted via SMB or NFS), a WebDAV repository or a SVN
repository might me. I keep asking myself wether or not it would make
sense to create a SVN-backend for Lenya. Why re-invent the wheel?

Regards,
Torsten

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:

> Michael Wechner wrote:
>
>> There are various things which currently prevent that Lenya can be
>> clustered.
>

> such as?

- Flow, because it's not serializable
- Sitetree of default publication, because it cannot be shared within
the cluster resp. locked
- "Content Repository" re writing

just to name a few

Michi

Re: Cluster and future developments/techniques

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Michael Wechner wrote:

> There are various things which currently prevent that Lenya can be
> clustered.

such as?

Re: Cluster and future developments/techniques

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Michael Wechner wrote:
> Hi
>
> There are various things which currently prevent that Lenya can be
> clustered.
>
> That's just how it is and I don't want to complain about it, but make sure
> that we are able to solve them.
>
> But I think future development/techniques should take into account of
> the fact that Lenya is clusterable and depending on that should be
> allowed within the core or not.
>
> I know it might sound a bit restrivtive, but this seems to me a very
> important
> issue re the future development of Lenya. In the case of httpd one might
> call it "defensive programming" and even if this term might not fit a
> 100% for Lenya within a cluster I think we can still learn a lot from it
> and should make sure that this is
> one of the top priorities.

+1

-- Andreas