Posted to users@nifi.apache.org by l vic <lv...@gmail.com> on 2019/03/21 19:17:16 UTC

sensitive variable values ?

Is there a mechanism in Nifi to use sensitive variable values? For example:
would it be possible to store/set password value
in StandardRestrictedSSLContextService without exposing it? I am looking
for the way to set password in StandardRestrictedSSLContextService from the
automated deployment script....
Thank you,
-V

Re: sensitive variable values ?

Posted by Andy LoPresto <al...@gmail.com>.
I have done some proposals for sensitive variables storage in the variable registry, but haven’t been able to focus on it yet due to other priorities. You can see some light example mock-up, workflow, and bullet points towards the end of this presentation [1].

If you just want to write a secret into the flow.xml.gz during the automated deployment process, I have written a sample Ruby script that performs this task [2]. You can use this as an example if you need to implement this in a different language.

[1] https://github.com/alopresto/slides/blob/master/australia_2018/future_of_data_melbourne.pdf
[2] http://apache-nifi-developer-list.39713.n7.nabble.com/Re-Passwords-in-EncryptContent-tp12900.html

Andy LoPresto
alopresto@apache.org
alopresto.apache@gmail.com

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hello

Posted by Shawn Weeks <sw...@weeksconsulting.us>.
Are you not able to update the properties for the controller service. It looks like you use something like PUT /controller-services/{id} with some json kinda like this.

{ "revision": {…}, "id": "value", "uri": "value", "position": {…}, "permissions": {…}, "bulletins": [{…}], "disconnectedNodeAcknowledged": true, "parentGroupId": "value", "component": {…}, "operatePermissions": {…}, "status": {…} }

Filling in component with something like this and trying to set the properties.

{ "id": "value", "versionedComponentId": "value", "parentGroupId": "value", "position": {…}, "name": "value", "type": "value", "bundle": {…}, "controllerServiceApis": [{…}], "comments": "value", "state": "value", "persistsState": true, "restricted": true, "deprecated": true, "multipleVersionsAvailable": true, "properties": { "name": "value" }, "descriptors": { "name": {…} }, "customUiUrl": "value", "annotationData": "value", "referencingComponents": [{…}], "validationErrors": ["value"], "validationStatus": "value", "extensionMissing": true }

Check https://nifi.apache.org/docs/nifi-docs/rest-api/index.html

What JSON have you tried so far?

Thanks
Shawn

From: l vic <lv...@gmail.com>
Date: Thursday, March 21, 2019 at 3:38 PM
To: "users@nifi.apache.org" <us...@nifi.apache.org>
Subject: Re: sensitive variable values ?

I don't see how to do it for service from NiFi REST api... Any suggestions?
Thank you

Re: sensitive variable values ?

Posted by l vic <lv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bryan Bende <bb...@gmail.com>.
Sensitive variables is something we'd like to support, but we
currently don't have that capability yet.

If you are using a script to create components, or to instantiate
templates, you should be able to set the property values of those
components using the REST API.

You would be making the same REST call that is made if you were in the
UI and were on the config window, entered the password, and hit the
Apply button.