Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Glen Baars <gl...@onsitecomputers.com.au> on 2018/05/17 14:46:12 UTC

Snapshots only on Primary Storage feature

Hello Devs,

I have been thinking about a feature request and want to see what people think about the use case.

We use KVM + Ceph RBD as storage.

Currently, when a client takes a snapshot, Cloudstack takes a Ceph snapshot and then uses qemu-img to export to secondary storage. This creates a full backup of the server. Clients want to use this as a daily snapshot and it isn't feasible due to the space requirements.

We would like create the snapshot only on primary storage. It is replicated offsite and fault tolerant. I can see that the download snapshot and create template features may be an issue.

I have seen the below features in the recent releases and wondered if this was the direction that the development was going.
Separation of volume snapshot creation on primary storage and backing operation on secondary storage.
Bypass secondary storage template copy/transfer for KVM.
Kind regards,
Glen Baars
BackOnline Manager

T  1300 733 328 / +61 8 6102 3276
NZ +64 9280 3561

www.timg.com<http://www.timg.com/>

 [http://images.dbonline.com.au/images/fb.png]  Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/TheInformationManagementGroup>  [http://images.dbonline.com.au/images/li.png] LinkedIn<http://www.linkedin.com/company/the-information-management-group?trk=hb_tab_compy_id_2724246>

Watch a short video about what we do!<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scLGLwSIFQc>
[http://images.dbonline.com.au/images/timgv3.jpg]<https://goo.gl/eAHLO7>
This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information.If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.

This e-mail is intended solely for the benefit of the addressee(s) and any other named recipient. It is confidential and may contain legally privileged or confidential information. If you are not the recipient, any use, distribution, disclosure or copying of this e-mail is prohibited. The confidentiality and legal privilege attached to this communication is not waived or lost by reason of the mistaken transmission or delivery to you. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately.

Re: Snapshots only on Primary Storage feature

Posted by Will Stevens <ws...@cloudops.com>.
PLD, please review.  We also need the backup to secondary to be optional/on
demand for our latest implementation plans.

*Will Stevens*
Chief Technology Officer
c 514.826.0190

<https://goo.gl/NYZ8KK>

Posted by Nathan Johnson <nj...@ena.com.INVALID>.
I have created a github issue to capture this here:

https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/issues/3096

I’m getting ready to create a PR to add this feature back in, but it will require adding a configuration item back.

Should this be considered a bug and go into the 4.11.3 migration, or should it be added to master?  If master / 4.12?

Thanks,
Nathan

Posted by Simon Weller <sw...@ena.com.INVALID>.
yeah, I like that idea Mike.