Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus <Sc...@lotus.com> on 2000/01/14 02:26:54 UTC

Re: Validator

> What if I want to validate the result of an Xalan transform? Do I have
> to stream it to disk?

Damn good point.  It would really be nice to have an on-the-fly validation
of the result tree.

I haven't really been keeping up on the work for schemas in Xerces.  Is
there a difference between validation and schema processing??  Eventually,
Xalan & associated formatters will need to process schemas for both the
input and the output trees without XML being involved.  For input so that
it can support future XSLT type matching, and for the output so that
formatters can handle type manipulation.

-scott

                    Paul Prescod
                    <paul@prescod        To:     xerces-dev@xml.apache.org
                    .net>                cc:     (bcc: Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus)
                                         Subject:     Re: Validator
                    01/13/00
                    07:55 PM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    xerces-dev

Is it really the case that the protocol between parser and validator
could become a huge performance drain?

I would have expected it to be a quiet conversation in comparison to the
noise of Unicode character lookups, URL fetches, lexical analysis,
well-formedness checking, and so forth. My experience is that the best
XML parsers often work at IO speeds (at least on my computer) so there
is probably time to spare for a little abstraction and code reuse.

What if I want to validate the result of an Xalan transform? Do I have
to stream it to disk?
"Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did,
but she did it backwards and in high heels."
                                               --Faith Whittlesey