Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jano <al...@mosteo.com> on 2007/06/04 14:21:27 UTC

Recursive tagging of externals

Hello,

after reviewing several threads on svncopy.pl, externals and all I could
think may be related I haven't found a solution for my question. My case
use is as follows:

Let's say I have a repo with three projects:

/lib1
/lib2
/project1

Then, lib2 has lib1 as a external source, pointing to HEAD, and likewise
project1 has lib2 as a external source, also pointing to HEAD.

So, project1->lib2->lib1 via externals.

I'm now trying to make a release tag of project1. At first I have found the
svncopy.pl script, and I see that it correctly freezes the project1->lib2
external. However, externals in lib2 are untouched (quite correctly since
that would require tagging of lib2 to somewhere else), thus leaving a HEAD
external for lib1 that may become problematic in the future.

At this moment I think that no solution exists but manual tagging of all
involved projects. My real case is quite more complex, so this would be a
quite unpleasant task, not to mention the non-genericity of it. I see
several problems with any solution.

Someone else having this problem? Any ideas? I guess the best option is to
always have explicit revisions in all externals (as the book recommends
IIRC), since these are versioned. Now, development may become a bit more
tedious because external revisions must be updated quite frequently until
libs stabilize, but I see no better option.

Any other ideas? Thanks in advance.

Re: Recursive tagging of externals

Posted by "Kevin P. Fleming" <kp...@digium.com>.
Jano wrote:

> At this moment I think that no solution exists but manual tagging of all
> involved projects. My real case is quite more complex, so this would be a
> quite unpleasant task, not to mention the non-genericity of it. I see
> several problems with any solution.
>
> Someone else having this problem? Any ideas? I guess the best option is to
> always have explicit revisions in all externals (as the book recommends
> IIRC), since these are versioned. Now, development may become a bit more
> tedious because external revisions must be updated quite frequently until
> libs stabilize, but I see no better option.

http://svn.digium.com/view/repotools/autotag_externals?view=markup

We use this script for recursive automated tagging of externals when we
make tags of a top-level project.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
Director of Software Technologies