Posted to dev@bigtop.apache.org by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org> on 2012/05/01 07:28:50 UTC

[DISCUSS] Move the default HADOOP_CONF_DIR

I'd like to propose that we change the default value for
HADOOP_CONF_DIR to /etc/hadoop instead of the current
/etc/hadoop/conf. I think it will reduce the confusion factor of new
users quite a bit. Roman shared that the original motivation was to
support multiple client configurations, but that seems relatively rare
use case. (Note that multiple client configs is still supported, of
course, you just need to use --config option to point it to the right
configuration directory. I'm just proposing that we remove the extra
conf out of the path.)

What do people think?

-- Owen

Re: [DISCUSS] Move the default HADOOP_CONF_DIR

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
The following may be very specific an experience, but I felt you guys
may benefit from it:

>From my experience, this confusion (where one would type
/etc/hadoop/hdfs-site.xml quickly instead of
/etc/hadoop/conf/hdfs-site.xml) has indeed come up a (very) few times
with users/admins I've interacted with over the last year. These users
had never used tarball setups before, and didn't know of the "conf"
name and what that signifies. I _personally_ am comfortable with
/etc/hadoop/conf naming and instructions cause I came to package-world
after much tarball usage/deployments.

I'm OK with the change in general if it happens (its "standard" to
have files directly under /etc/app-name, and all apps ought to be
consistent), but I humbly wish we would not change for any existing
major releases. That'd cause much user pain for those already gotten
used to this (and *many* have). It would also break quite a few
puppet/chef scripts I think.

--
Harsh J

Re: [DISCUSS] Move the default HADOOP_CONF_DIR

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 09:26AM, Owen O'Malley wrote:
> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 5:06 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org> wrote:
> > Personally, I'm concerned because of the following:
> >  # this will actually increase confusion somewhat among the folks
> >     who have used prior releases of Bigtop
>
> If you smooth off the rough edges of Bigtop, you'll get a lot more
> adoption. In particular, none of the Apache projects have used a
> pattern like that. If you look at the upstream projects like Hadoop,
> Pig, or Zookeeper rpms they all use /etc/hadoop.

I don't see how the adoption can be increased by changing of the value of an
env. var. ;) RPMs produced by different project might have different
structure - this is really up to the maintainer.  I personally think
/etc/<prod>/<more stuff> is a way cleaner structure, because otherwise you'll
end up mixing things in the same folder if later on non-config related files
will need to end up in /etc/hadoop.

No, I don't see how it makes sense.
  Cos

Posted by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 10:28 PM, Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org> wrote:
> I'd like to propose that we change the default value for
> HADOOP_CONF_DIR to /etc/hadoop instead of the current
> /etc/hadoop/conf. I think it will reduce the confusion factor of new
> users quite a bit. Roman shared that the original motivation was to
> support multiple client configurations, but that seems relatively rare
> use case. (Note that multiple client configs is still supported, of
> course, you just need to use --config option to point it to the right
> configuration directory. I'm just proposing that we remove the extra
> conf out of the path.)
>
> What do people think?

Personally, I'm concerned because of the following:
  # this will actually increase confusion somewhat among the folks
     who have used prior releases of Bigtop
  # whatever we do has to be consistent through Bigtop which
     means changing all the /etc/<component>/conf locations as well.
     That will be quite a bit of work as far as validation is concerned.

Given all of the above, I would appreciate if the benefits of the change
were to be spelled out more clearly. AFAIK, if you deploy Hadoop from
tarballs it doesn't actually assume anything in /etc, since it bundles
all of the configs under the installation tree.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: [DISCUSS] Move the default HADOOP_CONF_DIR

Posted by Bruno Mahé <bm...@apache.org>.
On 04/30/2012 10:28 PM, Owen O'Malley wrote:
> I'd like to propose that we change the default value for
> HADOOP_CONF_DIR to /etc/hadoop instead of the current
> /etc/hadoop/conf. I think it will reduce the confusion factor of new
> users quite a bit. Roman shared that the original motivation was to
> support multiple client configurations, but that seems relatively rare
> use case. (Note that multiple client configs is still supported, of
> course, you just need to use --config option to point it to the right
> configuration directory. I'm just proposing that we remove the extra
> conf out of the path.)
>
> What do people think?
>
> -- Owen

I would rather keep it the current way. /etc/<component>/conf> provides
flexibility and convenience while being obvious.
I also do not understand how it is confusing.

Thanks,
Bruno

Re: [DISCUSS] Move the default HADOOP_CONF_DIR

Posted by James Page <ja...@ubuntu.com>.