Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jim Lynch <jw...@sgi.com> on 2003/05/14 13:58:19 UTC

Is there a way to determine the Tomcat home?

It appears that the log file that one puts in the log4j.properties file
as

log4j.appender.A0.File=myapp.log

ends up in the directory from which you start Tomcat.  For instance if I
cd to /tmp and then do a $CATALINA_HOME/bin/startup.sh

The myapp.log file will be written to /tmp.

Is there a way to specify the path relative to the installation of
tomcat.  I'd very much like to put it in the $CATALINA_HOME/logs
directory.  Of course I could hard code it like:
log4j.appender.A0.File=/usr/local/tomcat/logs/myapp.log

I'm running the same app on a several systems, one production and a few
development systems and tomcat is installed in different locations, so
hardcoding isn't desirable since the log4j.properties file is stored in
a cvs tree.

So can I do something like:
log4j.appender.A0.File=${TOMCAT_HOME}myapp.log

or something similar?

Thanks,
Jim.

Re: Is there a way to determine the Tomcat home?

Posted by Jim Lynch <jw...@sgi.com>.
I thank you again.

Thanks,
Jim.