Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com> on 2003/08/08 00:21:01 UTC

[VOTE] change Reply-To to go to geronimo-dev

With the Reply-To set to the list, you don't have to remember to reply
to all to get it to the list.

Please vote.

+1 from me

Adeptra, Inc.                                       203-434-2093(m)
geirm@adeptra.com                                   203-247-1713(m)

Re: [VOTE] change Reply-To to go to geronimo-dev

Posted by Jonathan Duty <jd...@jonandkerry.com>.
+1

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> With the Reply-To set to the list, you don't have to remember to reply
> to all to get it to the list.

+1

--
Gianugo Rabellino

Re: [VOTE] change Reply-To to go to geronimo-dev

Posted by Moin Ahmad <mo...@mailx.kalzoom.com>.
+1

Re: [VOTE] change Reply-To to go to geronimo-dev

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.
+1 (Strongly)

(As I mailed to apmail)

-- Tetsuya (tetsuya@apache.org)

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 18:21:01 -0400
(Subject: [VOTE] change Reply-To to go to geronimo-dev)

Posted by Test <pa...@gwiasda.de>.
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> With the Reply-To set to the list, you don't have to remember to reply
> to all to get it to the list.
>
> Please vote.
>
> +1 from me

1+

Re: [VOTE] change Reply-To to go to geronimo-dev

Posted by Tim Urberg <ti...@yahoo.com>.
+1 - It's pretty common practice

Posted by Greg Wilkins <gr...@mortbay.com>.
+1

--
Greg Wilkins<gr...@mortbay.com>             Phone/fax: +44 7092063462
Mort Bay Consulting Australia and UK.          http://www.mortbay.com

Re: [VOTE] change Reply-To to go to geronimo-dev

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
On 8/08/2003 1:21 Greg Stein wrote:

> I'm not a fan of reply-to munging. I've seen it do bad things, and I've seen
> people accidentally send sensitive, personal info to a list when they meant
> to send it to an individual. The "failure mode" of a lack of Reply-To is
> much better ("oops, didn't go to the list") than the failure mode of having
> it ("oops, I just sent that personal slam to the whole world").

Personaly, I believe it is better that people are always thinking and
acting in 'list mode', and have to go through some burden to go into
'private mode'. We shouldn't convenience the list for Jekylls & Hydes. I
don't find myself often needing to compose a private reply to a list
message, and if so, most usually, I end up wondering why I didn't send
it to the list after all, or why I send the message after all, it being
a flame, or an alpha-male show-off thing, or doubletalk which doesn't
help anyone. Typically, such messages also fall under the two-email-pattern.

For newcomers: here's the two-mail-pattern, as coined by Stefano:

if you are ready to flame, type away, but don't press the send button
immediately. Leave the issue aside for a couple of hours, open up a
fresh message composition window, and compose a second reply (don't edit
the first one, you have to start from a blank window). Send that one. It
really helps!

Cheers,

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: [VOTE] change Reply-To to go to geronimo-dev

Posted by Christian Trutz <ch...@smilebase.org>.
On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 04:21:43PM -0700, Greg Stein wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 06:21:01PM -0400, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> > With the Reply-To set to the list, you don't have to remember to reply
> > to all to get it to the list.
> >
> > Please vote.
> >
> > +1 from me

-1

i think the Greg's argumentation is right

 (and i have just config my Mutt with the geronimo mailing list :-)
 )

chris

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 06:21:01PM -0400, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> With the Reply-To set to the list, you don't have to remember to reply
> to all to get it to the list.
>
> Please vote.
>
> +1 from me

-1

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/mail.html
http://www.metasystema.org/essays/reply-to-useful.mhtml

We, Japanese, generally use the term "Mailing List" as what appends
"Reply-To" Header properly to the same address.
Without "Reply-To" Header, it will be called as "Mail Magazine"
or something equivalent.
our strict definition, because this list (address) appends

*Mailing list* is something "for discussion"
*Mail Magazine* is something "one-way traffic"
... explicit explanation ;-)

Again and again,
http://www.metasystema.org/essays/reply-to-useful.mhtml
and
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/mail.html
("Watch where you are sending email." section)

-- Tetsuya (tetsuya@apache.org)

P.S. We, Japanese, are not accustomed to such lists as
would not append "Reply-To" and would have no "[listname:seq-num]"
prefixed subject... This is true... Cultural-conflict! :D

--

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 10:18:47 +0100 (BST)
(Subject: Re: [VOTE] change Reply-To to go to geronimo-dev)

Posted by Christian Trutz <ch...@smilebase.org>.
On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 11:21:31AM +0100, Alex Blewitt wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 10:18:47AM +0100, Andrew Savory wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 7 Aug 2003, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> >>Not a committer, but -1 for the following reasons:
> >
> >-1 me too!
> >
> >I am using Mutt, which ahs no problems with mailing lists
> >and i have now the problems which you described below ..
>
> I think that was two -1's with many +1's in the list ...

ok ok, am love democraty even when myself belongs to the minority :-)

Chris

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com>.
On Friday, August 8, 2003, at 06:21 AM, Alex Blewitt wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 10:18:47AM +0100, Andrew Savory wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 7 Aug 2003, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>>> Not a committer, but -1 for the following reasons:
>>
>> -1 me too!
>>
>> I am using Mutt, which ahs no problems with mailing lists
>> and i have now the problems which you described below ..
>
> I think that was two -1's with many +1's in the list ...
>
>>> # It violates the principle of minimal munging.

I'm assuming the corollary of maximal mingling, or median merging or
something like that...

:D

geir

Posted by Alex Blewitt <Al...@ioshq.com>.

Posted by Christian Trutz <ch...@smilebase.org>.

Posted by Andrew Savory <an...@luminas.co.uk>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com>.
This message is a test.  Ah, the joy!

Thanks Greg!

geir

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: [VOTE] change Reply-To to go to geronimo-dev

Posted by Emmanuel Bernard <ep...@yahoo.fr>.
+1
Made the mistake twice today

Re: [VOTE] change Reply-To to go to geronimo-dev

Posted by Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>.
+1

Posted by Alex Blewitt <Al...@ioshq.com>.
+1 as well. When it's not set to the Reply-To, I send it to the
original contributor and the group, which means that Steven is going to
get this twice...

Anyone care to send me two copies of this in reply?

:-)

Alex.

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: [VOTE] change Reply-To to go to geronimo-dev

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@yahoo.co.uk>.
+1

On Thursday, August 7, 2003, at 11:21  pm, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> With the Reply-To set to the list, you don't have to remember to reply
> to all to get it to the list.
>
> Please vote.
>
> +1 from me
>

> --
> Geir Magnusson Jr                                   203-956-2604(w)
> Adeptra, Inc.                                       203-434-2093(m)
> geirm@adeptra.com                                   203-247-1713(m)

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/

Re: Geronimo Web Services

Posted by Alberto Rodriguez Galdo <te...@teleline.es>.
Richard,
        I'm afraid i don't belong to the  juddi project, but i've been using
it for several months and it's a great project and the best open source uddi
implementation. I agree too with the use of uddi4j client api...

i think axis + juddi + uddi4j + wsdl4j would be a great combination.

I would be very pleased to contribute to the web services part of Geronimo,
just let me know, i love web services.

greets

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com>.

or http://ws.apache.org/

Re: Geronimo Web Services

Posted by Richard Monson-Haefel <Ri...@Monson-Haefel.com>.
Alberto,

Juddi looks like it could be a good fit for Geronimo's UDDI registry.  It would
be great if Apache accepted it into the Incubator. Since its not specific to

Re: Geronimo Web Services

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@yahoo.co.uk>.
I took a quick look at the License - its BSD-ish right? if so Geronimo
could reuse juddi if folks think its a good idea. Whether it becomes an
apache project or not is a different thing that can be resolved further
down the line- lets start with seeing if its a good fit for Geronimo.

On Friday, August 8, 2003, at 10:11  am, Alberto Rodriguez Galdo wrote:

> As is possible that juddi joins the apache project, juddi can be used
> provide a uddi registry...

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/